Unit IX , exercise II, sentences 5

Are you learning Latin with Latin: An Intensive Course by Moreland and Fleischer? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
mylmyl
Textkit Neophyte

Unit IX , exercise II, sentences 5

Post by mylmyl »

Hi guys, I hope this topic hasn't been discussed earlier, as I couln't find it anywhere:

At that time he would very easily have overcome the brave soldiers if (his)
rather heavy arms had not fallen from (his) very strong hands.

I've translated his with "sua " and "suis" respectively, while the key gives me "eius". Now, I know that suus is normally used as related to the subject of the sentence (in this case "arma") but it is obvious that the arms don't fall from their hands. I think that "eius" , though more grammatically correct, sounds strange in this sentence.

I'm used to parsing- but my new challenge is to be able to speak latin, and traslate into latin ( if you have textbooks to recommend, that would be much appreciated)-and in my experience, suus/sua/suum is not always reflexive, but often used in reference with the subject of the main clause, especially when there is no possibility of mistake, being the only person in the whole sentence.
I would like to hear your thoughts!
Salvete atque Valete!

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Unit IX , exercise II, sentences 5

Post by bedwere »

I think the key is right, since the pronouns do not refer to the subject of the protasis (arms) and the protasis cannot be considered to be dependent on the apodosis, whose subject is he.