A commentary on the first chapter of Avellanus' Fabulae Divales

Latin after CDLXXVI
DoctorBadger
Textkit Neophyte

A commentary on the first chapter of Avellanus' Fabulae Divales

Post by DoctorBadger »

Here is the link to my new commentary on the first book of Avellanus' Fabulae Divales. If you haven't read it I recommend it.
My commentary is intended to help me understand the work better. I have had great fun writing it, and hope that others enjoy reading Avellanus and my commentary.
I'm sure you will find countless errors and bizarre assertions. I look forward to feedback. I have concentrated on etymology, interesting Grammar and matters of style
The book is available on Amazon
Dr Badger

If the link doesn't work I shall soon fix it.
Hopefully you will be able to make comments on my commentary, print it, etc.
Avellanus Commentary 1
Last edited by DoctorBadger on Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoctorBadger
Textkit Neophyte

Re: A commentary on the first chapter of Avellanus' Fabulae Divales

Post by DoctorBadger »

Please get in touch if the document itself seems editable, or the link gives you access to other documents. Or if you can't open the document at all. I have never done this before!
Dr Badger

Shenoute
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Shenoute »

Nice, it seems you put a lot of effort into it. How do you like Avellanus' Latin versions so far?

I read through the first couple of pages, somme comments:
- I don't know what your page/line numbers refer to but they don't match with the scan I have (1918 edition)
- fratria is indeed uncommon but it is in Lewis&Short (at least if the online version at Perseus is to be trusted)
- the comment about quondam opificium is wrong I fear. The text has quodnam opificium.

DoctorBadger
Textkit Neophyte

Post by DoctorBadger »

Thanks for your reply. I thought page and line numbers might be an issue. Your reply has confirmed it. I have little choice but to replace page and line numbers with paragraph and line numbers.
I shall have a look at fratria and your other point later. I'm just glad the link worked etc! The project has been great fun, and really getting to know a passage too.
I'm a fan of neo Latin, even modern Latin. I love Roman history and culture but surprisingly am less interested in reading it in Latin. It's the language I love, and though I acknowledge Roman authors were probably purer, even better, I prefer modern themes, written in Latin. Vicipaedia, for example
Robin

DoctorBadger
Textkit Neophyte

Post by DoctorBadger »

Shenoute, can you tell me where you downloaded your pdf? I have marked the first ten or so entries with paragraph numbers and line numbers within each paragraph, so hopefully you will be able to find some entries.
I have just checked the link to the document and it seems to have been updated!