Help with D'Ooge, etc.

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
Propertius
Textkit Fan

Help with D'Ooge, etc.

Post by Propertius »

So I decided to create this thread to post sentences that I would like help with from D'Ooge's book instead of posting a new thread every time I need help with a different sentence. And to start off, I believe I found an error in the answer key. The workbook is asking me to translate the following sentence into Latin:

He is a beautiful animal and has great strength.

My translation:

Animal pulchrum est et vim magnam habet.

The answer key reads:

Pulchrum est animal et vis habet magna.

Wouldn't the second clause from the answer key translate to:

And great strength has.

The original sentence is on pg. 117 of D'Ooge's book and the answer is found on pg. 23 of the answer key. It's sentence 8 of part 2 of section 261.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Help with D'Ooge, etc.

Post by bedwere »

The key is wrong. We need to fix it.

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

Thanks Propertius for posting all that information about the page numbers it's very helpful.

I dont think a long thread with all your questions is going to help other people who come afterwards looking for answers. It's best I think to open up a post for each sentence or group of sentences.

There is a D'Ooge sub-forum where no-one has posted for a while it might be better to post your next question there.

Its up to you.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

The key has been (hopefully) fixed. Latin for Beginner’s Key

Propertius
Textkit Fan

Post by Propertius »

bedwere wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:51 pm The key is wrong. We need to fix it.
It has quite a number of errors here and there. I'll keep them coming since I'm working through it. By the way, at a certain point in the answer key, the answers for Latin to English exercises in the book end. I was considering translating those myself. If I did all that work would you add the answers to the answer key? I, as many others here, loathe Latin to English translation, but I was only going to do it so I can translate the English sentences back to Latin.

P.S. Was my thread moved? I could have sworn I posted it elsewhere. No problem if it was. I'll post in this forum next time I have a specific question regarding D'Ooge.

Propertius
Textkit Fan

Post by Propertius »

seneca2008 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:50 pm I dont think a long thread with all your questions is going to help other people who come afterwards looking for answers. It's best I think to open up a post for each sentence or group of sentences.

There is a D'Ooge sub-forum where no-one has posted for a while it might be better to post your next question there.

Its up to you.
No problem, seneca2008. Will do.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Propertius wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:25 pm
bedwere wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:51 pm The key is wrong. We need to fix it.
It has quite a number of errors here and there. I'll keep them coming since I'm working through it. By the way, at a certain point in the answer key, the answers for Latin to English exercises in the book end. I was considering translating those myself. If I did all that work would you add the answers to the answer key? I, as many others here, loathe Latin to English translation, but I was only going to do it so I can translate the English sentences back to Latin.

P.S. Was my thread moved? I could have sworn I posted it elsewhere. No problem if it was. I'll post in this forum next time I have a specific question regarding D'Ooge.
Yes, we can add your answers and yes, I moved the thread.