“Trust no one” in Latin

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Schumer_13th
Textkit Neophyte

“Trust no one” in Latin

Post by Schumer_13th » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:36 pm

Hello,

I’m trying to find the most accurate Latin translation of “trust no one.”

I’ve found phrases such as “nemini fide” and “nemini Credendum.” However, I’ve also come across numerous variations.

Could someone give me a definitive answer if possible? I would really appreciate it.

Schumer_13th

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Re: “Trust no one” in Latin

Post by seneca2008 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:21 pm

I dont think there is a definitive answer. Like most English phrases there are lots of ways of translating a phrase and much will depend on context and what you exactly mean by your apparently simple motto. Trust no-one with your life, dont trust what people say etc etc? Do you mean that we are not even to trust ourselves? Do you mean dont trust anyone else except yourself.

On its own "trust no one" conjures up Odysseus and the Cyclopes. Who has hurt you? No-one has hurt me.

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:58 pm

seneca2008 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:21 pm
I dont think there is a definitive answer. Like most English phrases there are lots of ways of translating a phrase and much will depend on context and what you exactly mean by your apparently simple motto. Trust no-one with your life, dont trust what people say etc etc? Do you mean that we are not even to trust ourselves? Do you mean dont trust anyone else except yourself.

On its own "trust no one" conjures up Odysseus and the Cyclopes. Who has hurt you? No-one has hurt me.
Very close to what I was going to respond here (except for the allusion to the Odyssey, quite nice). It really depends a lot on context. Still, a simple literal translation, if you wanted to give a group of people this advice, might be "nemini confidite."
N.E. Barry Hofstetter
The Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.

Schumer_13th
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Schumer_13th » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:27 pm

Thank you for your responses.

My best friend and I always talk about how everyone at work has an agenda. Everyone wants to get ahead and is willing to “throw you under the bus” in order to rise in position and status within the company.

I suppose what I’m trying to say is: People at work will appear to be your friend, but they will betray you in order to make themselves look good. Thus, they will climb the corporate ladder, using you to step on in order to get there.

Hopefully this clarifies what I mean by the simple phrase ‘trust no one.’

Thank you.

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:40 am

Schumer_13th wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:27 pm
Thank you for your responses.

My best friend and I always talk about how everyone at work has an agenda. Everyone wants to get ahead and is willing to “throw you under the bus” in order to rise in position and status within the company.

I suppose what I’m trying to say is: People at work will appear to be your friend, but they will betray you in order to make themselves look good. Thus, they will climb the corporate ladder, using you to step on in order to get there.

Hopefully this clarifies what I mean by the simple phrase ‘trust no one.’

Thank you.
As I mentioned above, I would go with nemini confidite.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter
The Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.

Schumer_13th
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Schumer_13th » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:42 pm

Thank you, Barry. I will go with that one!