Meaning of "προς+ gen"; M vs JACT.

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Asterisk1234
Textkit Neophyte

Meaning of "προς+ gen"; M vs JACT.

Post by Asterisk1234 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:14 pm

M gives "from, proceeding from" on p. 72, 75, and 463, while JACT gives "in the name/under the protection", on p. 283 of "Text and vocabulary". I can't reconcile the two definitions.
Who's right? (I tend to believe M more than JACT...)
Thanks to all.

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Re: Meaning of "προς+ gen"; M vs JACT.

Post by Barry Hofstetter » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:25 pm

Both are correct.

A. WITH GEN., πρός refers to that from which something comes:

[...]

III. of dependence or close connexion: hence,
1. dependent on one, under one’s protection, π. Διός εἰσι ξεῖνοί τε πτωχοί τε Od.6.207, 14.57; δικασπόλοι, οἵ τε θέμιστας π. Διὸς εἰρύαται by commission from him, Il.1.239; π. ἄλλης ἱστὸν ὑφαίνοις at the bidding of another, 6.456.

Liddell, H. G., Scott, R., Jones, H. S., & McKenzie, R. (1996). A Greek-English lexicon (p. 1497). Oxford: Clarendon Press.

JACT is giving one specialized usage of the preposition in context, M. the broader definition.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter
The Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.

Asterisk1234
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Asterisk1234 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:07 am

Barry Hofstetter wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:25 pm
Both are correct.

A. WITH GEN., πρός refers to that from which something comes:

[...]

III. of dependence or close connexion: hence,
1. dependent on one, under one’s protection, π. Διός εἰσι ξεῖνοί τε πτωχοί τε Od.6.207, 14.57; δικασπόλοι, οἵ τε θέμιστας π. Διὸς εἰρύαται by commission from him, Il.1.239; π. ἄλλης ἱστὸν ὑφαίνοις at the bidding of another, 6.456.

Liddell, H. G., Scott, R., Jones, H. S., & McKenzie, R. (1996). A Greek-English lexicon (p. 1497). Oxford: Clarendon Press.

JACT is giving one specialized usage of the preposition in context, M. the broader definition.
Thank you. I guess that's why ancient Greek is so easy. :)

BTW, could you translate for me the sentences below your signature. Although I recognize some words, I can't understand them'. Thanks.

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:32 pm

Asterisk1234 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:07 am

BTW, could you translate for me the sentences below your signature. Although I recognize some words, I can't understand them'. Thanks.
It's from two different sources, Epictetus and the NT, and I thought combining them amusing (at least to me). "You do your thing and I do mine. Take yours and go."
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Asterisk1234
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Asterisk1234 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:42 pm

Barry Hofstetter wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:32 pm
Asterisk1234 wrote:

It's from two different sources, Epictetus and the NT, and I thought combining them amusing (at least to me). "You do your thing and I do mine. Take yours and go."
Thanks. I almost had the first one, except for the word "thing", which I always forget to add after a neuter article not followed by a noun. As for the other one, I tried to get the meaning of "αρον" in Logeion, and I got "Cuckoo-pint, Arum italicum", so I gave up right there! :lol: And BTW, what part of the NT contains that sentence?

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:02 am

Asterisk1234 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:42 pm
Barry Hofstetter wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:32 pm
Asterisk1234 wrote:

Thanks. I almost had the first one, except for the word "thing", which I always forget to add after a neuter article not followed by a noun. As for the other one, I tried to get the meaning of "αρον" in Logeion, and I got "Cuckoo-pint, Arum italicum", so I gave up right there! :lol: And BTW, what part of the NT contains that sentence?
It's the second person aorist active imperative from αἴρω. That would be Matt 20:14.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Asterisk1234
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Asterisk1234 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:35 pm

Thank you, Barry.

I enjoyed our conversation and I learned something.