JACT vocabulary asterisks

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Asterisk1234
Textkit Neophyte

JACT vocabulary asterisks

Post by Asterisk1234 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:58 pm

Many words in the G-E vocabulary at the end of the "Text and Vocabulary" book are highlighted with an asterisk, e.g., *οταν and *ου, *ουκουν, etc., on page 281.
I cannot find a reference to the asterisks either at the bottom of the page or at the end of the vocabulary. An asterisk appears at the beginning of the vocabulary (p.267), but it talks about "difficult parts of verbs".
So, what do these asterisks mean?

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Re: JACT vocabulary asterisks

Post by seneca2008 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:09 pm

I can't follow your numbering of the pages. But words in the General vocabulary given at the end of the Grammar reference are asterisked if they feature in the Grammar section or Language overview. See page 337 of the Grammar, Vocabulary and exercises book.

wilberfloss
Textkit Neophyte

Post by wilberfloss » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:41 pm

Sorry. I was wrong.

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:01 pm

Some of the words which have asterisks in the General vocabulary are particles but others are not eg the prepositions.

Asterisk1234
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Asterisk1234 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:35 am

seneca2008 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:09 pm
I can't follow your numbering of the pages. But words in the General vocabulary given at the end of the Grammar reference are asterisked if they feature in the Grammar section or Language overview. See page 337 of the Grammar, Vocabulary and exercises book.
Hello Seneca -
I think we have a communication problem here -we don't seem to be, literally, on the same page or book. The page numbering that I give (267 and 281) is from the "Text and Vocabulary" book, where one can read the stories. The vocabulary starts on page 267 of that book, not to be confused with the vocabulary found on page 498 of the Grammar and Exercises book.
The Reference Grammar begins on p. 369 of the Grammar and Exercises book, i.e., a different book of the set, which at the top of every page is labeled "Grammar, Vocabularies and Exercises for Section xxx", where page 337 is a chart showing the various tenses of the verb αφιημι, and there's no mention of asterisks there.
So I'm confused (as usual...)

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:12 pm

Ok so you are using the second edition.

In the first edition the vocabulary you are looking at in the text volume was in the grammar book where the asterisks are explained as in my post above. It looks like the asterisks have been carried over into the new place without the explanation. As all the words now seem to have a reference to the grammar or to the passage in which they are first mentioned the asterisks are redundant. Perhaps someone just forgot to remove them. I can't find any other explanation. I wouldn't worry about it.

Asterisk1234
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Asterisk1234 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:55 pm

seneca2008 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:12 pm
Ok so you are using the second edition.

In the first edition the vocabulary you are looking at in the text volume was in the grammar book where the asterisks are explained as in my post above. It looks like the asterisks have been carried over into the new place without the explanation. As all the words now seem to have a reference to the grammar or to the passage in which they are first mentioned the asterisks are redundant. Perhaps someone just forgot to remove them. I can't find any other explanation. I wouldn't worry about it.
OK, Thanks, I suspected it had to do with editions.