Reading suggestions

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
H.E. Nightingale
Textkit Neophyte

Reading suggestions

Post by H.E. Nightingale » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:35 pm

My Latin is not very advanced and I should like to read some Latin literature. It is difficult for me to ascertain my skill/knowledge, but I am not capable of understanding chunks of Virgil etc. quoted in Montaigne or the like. What would you recommend I start with? I shall try that and report back regarding difficulty and enjoyment.

The original Latin that I tend to be able to understand are short maxims and the like that can stand alone, and with a push I understand the adapted Livy/Tacitus in O-Level papers - but they are so dreary. Perhaps there is some resource designed for my needs, maybe a compilation of appropriate texts or a modern composition, or even Mediaeval Latin might offer something.

For now, though, I remain deferential to the more accomplished members of this forum.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Reading suggestions

Post by bedwere » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:44 pm

I suggest getting a grammar/exercise book with key and methodically go through it, doing all the exercises from Latin to English and from English to Latin. I don't see any benefit from cutting corners. Of course, we are here to help and you are encouraged to post your questions in the forum.
As for the choice of book, today many swear by Lingua Latina per se illustrata. Here on Textkit we provide several old texts with keys. For example,
Latin For Beginners, by Benjamin L. D’Ooge and Latin for Beginner’s Key. You can find cheap reprint of this on Amazon.

H.E. Nightingale
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Reading suggestions

Post by H.E. Nightingale » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:48 pm

I do not mean to help my studies, which I shall continue doing, but to enjoy and get a flavour for the language. I understand that there may not exist texts which are both interesting and comprehensible for me.

I do enjoy English to Latin translations, is there a repository of interesting ones with explanations?