Hello

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
jarapa
Textkit Neophyte

Hello

Post by jarapa » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:39 am

Hello, I am new to the forum. My name is Jairo, 59 years old, and I am studying Latin with Wheelock and LLPSI. Since I was a teenager I wanted to learn Latin, but for so many reasons that I don't remember I didn't study it ... now, in the last part of my life, I have decided to do it.
I have come to say hello, and since for some time I visited the forum to read many interesting posts, I will surely be here again with a more active participation.
Iairus

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Hello

Post by bedwere » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:01 am

Welcome to Textkit, Jairo!

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:55 pm

Some years ago I heard the story of a 95 year old lady who wanted to learn to read the NT in Greek. She signed up for a correspondence course, and two years later completed it, and then started in on Hebrew. It's never too late, and you might even be ahead of the game... :)
N.E. Barry Hofstetter
The Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.

jarapa
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jarapa » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:07 am

...in my case it would be Lucretius - De Rerum Natura, I have always wanted to read it in Latin since I read The Swerve by Stephen Greenblatt... :D

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:12 pm

jarapa wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:07 am
...in my case it would be Lucretius - De Rerum Natura, I have always wanted to read it in Latin since I read The Swerve by Stephen Greenblatt... :D
Yes, more than one student has been drawn into the languages by wanting to read some favorite text in the original (for Greek, it's most often the NT), but then at least a few discover many other treasures along the way.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter
The Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.

jarapa
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jarapa » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:44 am

According to a chart that I have seen in this forum, I will be able to read "de rerum natura" after chapter 45 of Roma Aeterna ... I have already finished "Familia Romana", I am in a second Wheelock review, so I am in the correct route following all the recommendations that I have compiled in this forum ...

After reading all the texts that recommends here once the Familia Roamana study is finished, I will continue with Roma Aeterna along with Latin: an intensive course as a grammar review ... there is still a long way to go but it is a very pleasant journey ...

Iairus