Hypertext Version of ROUSE's GreekBoy Reader and Grammar

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
hotcajun
Textkit Neophyte

Hypertext Version of ROUSE's GreekBoy Reader and Grammar

Post by hotcajun » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:19 am

Clovis Education has digitized both Rouse Greek Boy at Home as well as the accompanying grammar.

No introduction needed for this famous work!

Feel free to give it a look: http://www.cloviscorp.com/collegium/gra ... ammar.html

Any corrections or suggestions appreciated either in this forum or markcbordelon@cloviscorp.com .
Last edited by hotcajun on Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fitzaudoen
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Hypertext Version of ROUSE's GreekBoy Reader and Grammar

Post by fitzaudoen » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:10 pm

Looks like a nice transcription. You should consider turning it into a kindle version, most of the work is already done.

hotcajun
Textkit Neophyte

Post by hotcajun » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:52 pm

Have not considered anything yet beyond vetting the content as is, especially all the greek translations. Our translations are basic and can be improved by the know-how in this community.
Out of curiosity, here are some kindle questions for you, Fitz:
1) There is a lot of linking in this document between the grammar and the text. How is is this handled in kindle readers?
2) What are the steps for eventually publishing it to their "kindle store"?

smitterle
Textkit Neophyte

Post by smitterle » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:37 am

I'm sure Amazon helps with kindle publication. Links are handled well. Format must be mobi. You might not need Amazon. Maybe give calibre ebook reader a try. It has a plugin for ebook conversion. Normally, local links are converted automatically.
Great work :)
I was wondering how this relates to To Hellenikon Paidion. It claims to be based on A Greek Boy at Home. However, it's so different. It is "monolingual" and mostly consists of text for reading. A Greek Boy at Home however looks a bit more like a classical textbook. Maybe I got it all wrong.

hotcajun
Textkit Neophyte

Post by hotcajun » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:07 pm

Thanks for those comments.

Regarding the nature of the text: your differentiation between "Greek Boy at Home" and "To Hellenikon Paidion" is correct. Clovis has not duplicated the good work of "To Hellenikon Paidion", making the "Greek Boy at Home" available in HTML instead.

Regarding Kindle publication: I have looked into the matter. Kindle publication, if and when, will also mean converting all the javascript functionality, of which there is a lot (transliteration, hiding and showing content, etc)

will.dawe
Textkit Neophyte

Post by will.dawe » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:25 am

It's a wonderful work! Could you state the license terms, i.d. should I grab it now or the book will be publicly available forever?

Some media and external links are broken, e.g. Ch. 1 exercise "Pronunciation of words" (audio) or Ch. 15 "Country Life in Greece. See example", hope it's temporal.

fitzaudoen
Textkit Neophyte

Post by fitzaudoen » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:57 am

hotcajun wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:07 pm
Regarding Kindle publication: I have looked into the matter. Kindle publication, if and when, will also mean converting all the javascript functionality, of which there is a lot (transliteration, hiding and showing content, etc)
I'll likely make a version of just the Greek Boy at Home text for my personal using using caliber. I'm relatively handy with text parsing in python (specifically did a lot for my web app version of D'Ooge) and think it should be pretty quick to rearrange the english and greek and add some anchors to go back and forth. I'd be happy to share the result with you for whatever use you see fit for.

hotcajun
Textkit Neophyte

Post by hotcajun » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:24 am

will.dawe wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:25 am
It's a wonderful work! Could you state the license terms, i.d. should I grab it now or the book will be publicly available forever?

Some media and external links are broken, e.g. Ch. 1 exercise "Pronunciation of words" (audio) or Ch. 15 "Country Life in Greece. See example", hope it's temporal.
WIlliam: only requirements I have for any usage is 1) help with the QA in general (specifically the translations!) and 2) a mention of www.cloviscorp.com. I really want to make it better before anyone uses it but need more eyes on this to help. To that end, I'll take a look at the errors you have found and rectify by tomorrow. We are glad you like the work so far. Thank you.

hotcajun
Textkit Neophyte

Post by hotcajun » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:26 am

fitzaudoen wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:57 am
hotcajun wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:07 pm
I'll likely make a version of just the Greek Boy at Home text for my personal using using caliber. I'm relatively handy with text parsing in python (specifically did a lot for my web app version of D'Ooge) and think it should be pretty quick to rearrange the english and greek and add some anchors to go back and forth. I'd be happy to share the result with you for whatever use you see fit for.
Fitz, in your personal usage of this text you will certainly make corrections, please pass as many corrections back to me to improve this. And by the way, I'd like to know about caliber and your web app version of D'Ooge. Clovis is currently working on an adaptation of Artes Latinae that I think you'd also be interested in. Please feel free to share with a private message!

donhamiltontx
Textkit Neophyte

Post by donhamiltontx » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:59 pm

hotcajun wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:26 am

Fitz . . . and by the way, I'd like to know about caliber and your web app version of D'Ooge. Clovis is currently working on an adaptation of Artes Latinae that I think you'd also be interested in. Please feel free to share with a private message!
Double the request from me about how you, Fitz, use Calibre and about the D'Ooge web app, as well as more about the Artes Latinae app. And the Rouse app looks like a very stimulating product.
ἐς Τροίαν πειρώμενοι ἦνθον ᾿Αχαιοί,
καλλίστα παίδων: πείρᾳ θην πάντα τελεῖται.
Theocritus, Idyll 15

hotcajun
Textkit Neophyte

Post by hotcajun » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:40 pm

hotcajun wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:24 am
will.dawe wrote:

WIlliam: only requirements I have for any usage is 1) help with the QA in general (specifically the translations!) and 2) a mention of www.cloviscorp.com. I really want to make it better before anyone uses it but need more eyes on this to help. To that end, I'll take a look at the errors you have found and rectify by tomorrow. We are glad you like the work so far. Thank you.
A member of the team is running a smoke test on Rouse unrelated to audio. Audio issues are related to S3 file resturcturing. I'll update on that later today.

hotcajun
Textkit Neophyte

Post by hotcajun » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:25 pm

hotcajun wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:40 pm
hotcajun wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:24 am
will.dawe wrote:

A member of the team is running a smoke test on Rouse unrelated to audio. Audio issues are related to S3 file resturcturing. I'll update on that later today.
The sounds will be in their proper S3 folders tomorrow.
Last edited by hotcajun on Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:27 pm

My compliments for the initiative. I noticed that I can show things but I cannot hide them. I'm using Chrome on Linux.

hairetikon
Textkit Neophyte

Post by hairetikon » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:10 pm

Thanks for the wonderful effort.

I have only checked chapters 1 and 2, and my only suggestion is to correct the accents. Just to give an example, the feminine dative plural relative pronoun is given not as αἷς but as ἁῖς. Similarly, the first Greek text has ἐρωτάεις, where in fact it should have been ἐρωτᾷς.

Which makes me think if there is a particular difficulty incorporating the spirits and the accents when they happen to fall on the same vowel.

fitzaudoen
Textkit Neophyte

Post by fitzaudoen » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:33 am

donhamiltontx wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:59 pm
Double the request from me about how you, Fitz, use Calibre and about the D'Ooge web app, as well as more about the Artes Latinae app. And the Rouse app looks like a very stimulating product.
D'Ooge web app I haven't worked on in a while, but basically I parsed all the exercises and vocab and tried to turn it into a duolingo type game (the intent for me at the time was to learn ruby on rails). More details here: I added about 10 QC'd chapters and then 1) completed my primarly goal of doing a full stack web app project 2) got caught up in life events 3) got a bit turned off the format and wanted to come up with a web app that would be more reading focused. Link here: https://www.loquarlatin.com, the bad youtube demo video has a demo if you don't feel like signing up.

To keep it on topic, i've had calibre installed on my computer for years based on a buddy's recommendation but actually haven't used it myself. On the webapp side, I've got interest in doing more classics related programming hobby projects but Latin's my expertise and am a beginner at greek so can't help too much on the QC side of a greek project.

hotcajun
Textkit Neophyte

Post by hotcajun » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:40 am

bedwere wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:27 pm
My compliments for the initiative. I noticed that I can show things but I cannot hide them. I'm using Chrome on Linux.
The problem is known and a ticket has been written for this. Thank you for this information.

hotcajun
Textkit Neophyte

Post by hotcajun » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:57 am

hairetikon wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:10 pm
Thanks for the wonderful effort.

I have only checked chapters 1 and 2, and my only suggestion is to correct the accents. Just to give an example, the feminine dative plural relative pronoun is given not as αἷς but as ἁῖς. Similarly, the first Greek text has ἐρωτάεις, where in fact it should have been ἐρωτᾷς.

Which makes me think if there is a particular difficulty incorporating the spirits and the accents when they happen to fall on the same vowel.
1) Ran an initial check and correction of breathings with accents, submitted a ticket to do a deeper search. Initial results show that some of the tables split stem from ending and the accents and breathings suffer in the presentation. Additionally there is no way to place macrons over alpha, iota, upsilon with accents or breathings as well.
2) A purposeful departure from the original text to delay contraction. Without the benefit of the training in Latin that Rouses presupposes, beginners faced with the heavy verb grammar of the first lesson are spared the frustration of too much too soon, as done similarly in "Ancient Greek Alive", a text similarly devoted to a spoken approach.

persequor
Textkit Neophyte

Post by persequor » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:52 pm

Great job, Hotcajun! I had read some of Rouse's Greek Boy in pdf but after ch. IV the quality of some of the scan is not so good, difficult to read, so I put it aside. Do you intend to add his separate Greek to Greek vocabulary for Greek Boy to your site? I would indeed like to see an ebook version of this myself. For some reason, the epubs I've downloaded from Archive.org and elsewhere usually don't display Greek properly. Must be a coding issue.

Anyway, great work and thanks for sharing!
Carpe diem!--¡Aprovecha el día presente!--Seize the day!
---Poēta Rōmānus Horātius, Carmina (Odes), a.C. XXIII/DCCXXXI A.U.C.

jeidsath
Administrator

Post by jeidsath » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:10 pm

The vocabulary for Greek Boy would be a wonderful addition.
Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

hotcajun
Textkit Neophyte

Post by hotcajun » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:36 am

persequor and jeidsath:
I will add a ticket to inegrate into the greek boy readings a dictionary lookup instead of the glossary. Does that fulfil your request? Moreover, I do put topical vocab lists for some readings and could expand with more.
Unless anyone on line has or knows of a monolinguistic ancient greek dictionary (I have produced a small one myself), I would like to make the greek to greek (monolinguistic dictionary) user driven, i.e. the learner can describe the lemma with a simple and short sentence in greek, which all get collected and occasionally vetted. This definition would then be displayed after the English.

jeidsath
Administrator

Post by jeidsath » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:27 am

A Greek Boy was published with a separate monolingual vocabulary. There are pdfs of it on archive.org.

will.dawe
Textkit Neophyte

Post by will.dawe » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:27 pm

hotcajun wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:19 am
Clovis Education has digitized both Rouse Greek Boy at Home as well as the accompanying grammar.
Do you have a transcript of the "Greek Boy at Home"?

persequor
Textkit Neophyte

Post by persequor » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:06 pm

Hotcajun,

Here's a link to the Archive.org page for his Vocabulary to Greek Boy: https://archive.org/details/greekboyath ... ft/page/n1.

The unique (and helpful!) thing about this is that it is monolingual Greek, pitched toward Attic, but fairly simple vocabulary and sentence structure for the Greek definitions.

I like the vocabulary help you already have done, but this would be a welcome addition.

hotcajun
Textkit Neophyte

Post by hotcajun » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:42 pm

will.dawe wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:27 pm
hotcajun wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:19 am
Do you have a transcript of the "Greek Boy at Home"?
The transliterated text of Greek that the Grammar links with is part of this program, along with a (basic) translations.

hotcajun
Textkit Neophyte

Post by hotcajun » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:48 pm

persequor wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:06 pm
Hotcajun,

Here's a link to the Archive.org page for his Vocabulary to Greek Boy: https://archive.org/details/greekboyath ... ft/page/n1.

The unique (and helpful!) thing about this is that it is monolingual Greek, pitched toward Attic, but fairly simple vocabulary and sentence structure for the Greek definitions.

I like the vocabulary help you already have done, but this would be a welcome addition.
The vocabulary Clovis created used a tool to check the semantic frequency of the word defined and required that the words of the definition used were ensured to be as frequent or more, and as concrete or more (using wordnet). We expended a considerable effort here, because I was not aware of work already done in that Rouse vocabulary! How much of the vocabulary does anyone here already have transcribed? I

jeidsath
Administrator

Post by jeidsath » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:14 pm

The English translations of Greek Boy should be removed. Beyond defeating the whole point of the Greek-only reader, they are not done well at all:
ἀφικόμενοι δὲ εἰς τοὺς Δελφούς , ἔσφαξε τὰ ἱερὰ παρὰ τῷ βωμῷ · καὶ λαχὼν εἰσῆλθεν ὁ πατὴρ χρησόμενος τῷ μαντείῳ .
and when we had arrived into Delphi , he slayed the offerings by the altar : and my father , after he had casted lots , entered since he would converse with the oracle
This is the very first one that I clicked on.

hotcajun
Textkit Neophyte

Post by hotcajun » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:37 pm

hotcajun wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:48 pm
persequor wrote:
Hotcajun,

The vocabulary Clovis created used a tool to check the semantic frequency of the word defined and required that the words of the definition used were ensured to be as frequent or more, and as concrete or more (using wordnet). We expended a considerable effort here, because I was not aware of work already done in that Rouse vocabulary! How much of the vocabulary does anyone here already have transcribed? I
I have OCRed all the pages of the vocabulary and am working with how to turn these into something readable...

hotcajun
Textkit Neophyte

Post by hotcajun » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:41 pm

jeidsath wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:14 pm
The English translations of Greek Boy should be removed. Beyond defeating the whole point of the Greek-only reader, they are not done well at all:
ἀφικόμενοι δὲ εἰς τοὺς Δελφούς , ἔσφαξε τὰ ἱερὰ παρὰ τῷ βωμῷ · καὶ λαχὼν εἰσῆλθεν ὁ πατὴρ χρησόμενος τῷ μαντείῳ .
and when we had arrived into Delphi , he slayed the offerings by the altar : and my father , after he had casted lots , entered since he would converse with the oracle
This is the very first one that I clicked on.
So, is your advice that even "good" translations of Greek Boy should not be made available? It is a reasonable suggestion and is certainly in spirit with the intention of the original book.
Are there no dissenters who might feel having good translations available (even in a separate key) for a comprehension check would help students?
I could code my translation check so that would only provide this translation after receiving a valid translation attempt from the student first ("valid" = checking for appropriate length of input and english stop words to ensure it was not a random keyboard finger-dance; and timed spacing between keystrokes to ensure it was not a copy and paste) .
Last edited by hotcajun on Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.

persequor
Textkit Neophyte

Post by persequor » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:33 pm

I don't have a problem with a translation being made available. It can be useful to check your comprehension. There is a place for that, just as there is a place for semi/full immersion methods (which Rouse himself aimed at, thus his Greek to Greek vocabulary). It depends on your desires and goals, and what methods work best for each student. I myself am a late convert to the (semi) immersion approach, with use of conversational ancient Greek when possible (as Rouse did with his classes). I first studied Greek about forty years ago, while I only began using communicative methods with it about ten years ago.

I currently am reading Rouse's edition of Lucian of Samosata's Dialogues with the Gods. Rouse produced notes in Greek on the major vocabulary in the selected dialogues. I'm reading Lucian's Greek and then the notes. I will also look at the Loeb translations of the Dialogues. The more options for learning and understanding the ancient texts, the better. Having said that, I find that a communicative, semi-immersion approach tends to lead to more long-term retention of vocabulary and structures for most students, and to more genuine comprehension when reading. But others do fine without that approach.

hotcajun
Textkit Neophyte

Rouse Vocabulary

Post by hotcajun » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:35 pm

hotcajun wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:37 pm
hotcajun wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:48 pm
persequor wrote:
Hotcajun,

I have OCRed all the pages of the vocabulary and am working with how to turn these into something readable...
At the end of the day I will have Rouse vocabulary in a readable format and will incorporate these into the rest of the Clovis greek monolingistic definitions. On Monday I will start to proof these definitions with the above-mentioned tool. Once they start to look good I will expose the endpoint that serves these definitions. Thanks for the nudge to do this from this group!

persequor
Textkit Neophyte

Post by persequor » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:56 pm

That's great, Hotcajun. It will be very helpful. Please provide a link to the Greek to Greek vocabulary once you publish it. Looking forward to spending more time with your site. Thanks for all the hard work!

Thrasystomos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Thrasystomos » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:54 pm

Hi, w.r.t. Greek Boy: I did once a complete scan and proofreading of the text and the vocab incl. the vocabulary of the Greek 1st course. Used it for my own study. Always wanted to post it to Gutenberg site, but didn't find time yet. Should be 99% fine (extensively used it myself).

Attached:
1) incl. German (amateurish) translation https://drive.google.com/open?id=10u9KG ... -e3zJhcgIU

2) only vocab (engl. / german mostly):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H_4XqI ... sp=sharing

3) Greek only https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hjOI0a ... sp=sharing

hotcajun
Textkit Neophyte

Post by hotcajun » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:09 pm

Thrasystomos wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:54 pm
Hi, w.r.t. Greek Boy: I did once a complete scan and proofreading of the text and the vocab incl. the vocabulary of the Greek 1st course. Used it for my own study. Always wanted to post it to Gutenberg site, but didn't find time yet. Should be 99% fine (extensively used it myself).

Attached:
1) incl. German (amateurish) translation https://drive.google.com/open?id=10u9KG ... -e3zJhcgIU

2) only vocab (engl. / german mostly):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H_4XqI ... sp=sharing

3) Greek only https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hjOI0a ... sp=sharing
Ich glaub' mich knutscht ein Elch!
I see the entire Greek Boy reader here along with the translations, and these look better than the ones Clovis generated in English. Indeed much of our work appears now a useless duplication of effort. I speak and read German, so this is an immense help.
But I do not find the grammar text. Is that linked?

hotcajun
Textkit Neophyte

Post by hotcajun » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:15 pm

persequor wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:56 pm
That's great, Hotcajun. It will be very helpful. Please provide a link to the Greek to Greek vocabulary once you publish it. Looking forward to spending more time with your site. Thanks for all the hard work!
Looks like you have it below!

persequor
Textkit Neophyte

Post by persequor » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:37 pm

Could be I overlooked the link. Is it on the same page as the English translations?

jeidsath
Administrator

Post by jeidsath » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:13 pm

I still don't understand why anyone would read Greek Boy alongside an English translation, when there are plenty of actual Greek authors that could be read instead for that purpose.

In the introduction, Rouse even recommends withholding the Greek vocabulary from students until review. The point of the course was to have the teacher explain everything, in Greek, as he went along the first time.