help with long passages in colebourne

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
DoctorBadger
Textkit Neophyte

help with long passages in colebourne

Post by DoctorBadger » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:42 am

hi, I am going through the above mentioned passage or excerpta, and in each passage there are usually a couple of places where I differ from the author.
I would love some help with these. often they are style questions, often choices between two translations where I know one is more usual but I would like to know if the other is wrong, and how wrong.

1. the writer has:
Antium amplius triginta milia passuum a Roma abest.
i wrote de Roma abest.
is this ever right? perhaps if Rome were on a higher hill?
but is a the default?

2. when can I use hoc audito instead of quo audito ie instead of connecting relative?

tertium. in former times:
pristinis temporibus
or priscis temporibus
my Latin synonym book says Priscus and antiquus are older, then pristinus then vetus.

that's all for now.
looking forward to your brilliant replies,
robin

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Re: help with long passages in colebourne

Post by mwh » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:51 pm

1. abest calls for a Roma, using the same preposition.
2. quo ties it to what precedes, while hoc disconnects. (You’d probably want to use a connective with hoc.)
3. They’re not quite synonyms but close. It's not really a matter of relative age. A better dictionary would help.

Aetos
Textkit Fan

Re: help with long passages in colebourne

Post by Aetos » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:16 pm

DoctorBadger wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:42 am
1. the writer has:
Antium amplius triginta milia passuum a Roma abest.
i wrote de Roma abest.
is this ever right? perhaps if Rome were on a higher hill?
but is a the default?
I'm not one of the grammatici or "grammar book experts" (at least I don't consider myself one), but I usually go to Allen&Greenough to make sure that any answer I do give is as correct as I can make it or that the person asking can learn where to find an answer on his own. That said, here is A&G's §221 on prepositions:
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... ythp%3D221
Check the entries for ā,abs,ab and dē. Although there are several ways to express "from", each of these prepositions implies a certain direction of motion or reference, which you're already aware of judging from your question about Rome being on a higher hill. I would add that if you compare absum to desum, you'll see that they can't really be used interchangeably and I suspect the same can be said for the prepositions in this case.
DoctorBadger wrote:
. when can I use hoc audito instead of quo audito ie instead of connecting relative?
No A&G reference here, but I'll point out that "hoc audito" is an ablative absolute construction which is grammatically independent. "quo audito" , as you already know, is a connecting relative, which although it can stand at the beginning of an independent clause is still being used to connect with the sentence preceding it. (A&G 308.f)
DoctorBadger wrote:
tertium. in former times:
pristinis temporibus
or priscis temporibus
my Latin synonym book says Priscus and antiquus are older, then pristinus then vetus.
Regarding the use of pristinus and priscus, this is what Lewis & Short have to say:

priscus, a, um, adj. for prius-cus, like pris-tinus for prius-tinus, and magis for magius, a comparative form, of or belonging to former times, of many years ago, old, olden, ancient, primitive, antique. Like the Greek ἀρχαῖος, it denotes that which existed before our time, while pristinus is applied also to those things which have existed in our day (class.; cf.: vetus, antiquus).

Caesar & Cicero seem to like prior and superior

EDIT: Sorry, Michael I cross-posted. I tried to delete it, but for some reason that option isn't available