edition of aeneid with space to add scansion?

Discuss meter, interpretation, and all things Latin Poetry
DoctorBadger
Textkit Neophyte

edition of aeneid with space to add scansion?

Post by DoctorBadger »

hi I couldn't work out whether to start a new topic or add a comment to 'best edition of Aeneid', so after posting in the latter, here is my question again.

which edition of the Iliad has space between the lines for me to add scansion marks? I'm hoping either pharr or focus do, but other recommendations are welcome. oh, and macrons are essential.

and any recommendations on whether to start a new topic or post a question to a previous one would be welcome. I don't want to be breaking any taboos here!😀

Aetos
Textkit Zealot

Re: edition of aeneid with space to add scansion?

Post by Aetos »

Knapp's book will give you macrons. (Charles Knapp, Vergil and Ovid, Revised, Scott,Foresman &Co., 1928:
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDe ... 1-_-title6

There appears to be enough space above each line to place scansion marks. It also has notes in the bottom half of each page, as well as a vocabulary section in the back and an excellent introduction in the front. For what it's worth, I think you may get more benefit from writing out the lines and supplying the scansion to your written copy, rather than writing in a book. You shouldn't have to do this for the whole work, just until you can read the poem aloud metrically. How long that will take depends really on your present knowledge level. Furthermore, try memorising the first few lines (say 20). This will help you develop a feel for the rhythm of the poem and help you to read metrically, which is the real goal. Scansion is just a process to help get you there. Of course, having a solid foundation of vocabulary and grammar also helps.

DoctorBadger
Textkit Neophyte

Re: edition of aeneid with space to add scansion?

Post by DoctorBadger »

thanks for your advice. thing is, I do a lot of work in bed so having one book to work from is a real advantage. I will check out the book you recommend. I hope I wouldn't have to write the scansion for the whole thing!