Could use some help making up a word and nailing down the literal meaning of the word syneidesis

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Zionswasd
Textkit Neophyte

Could use some help making up a word and nailing down the literal meaning of the word syneidesis

Post by Zionswasd » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:58 pm

Heyo, I'm trying to find or more likely make up a single word to describe a fictional neural-network-multiverse, and in researching online I found the word "syneidesis" for consciousness on one site, and I'm not sure on what its word parts mean literally in Greek, or if it'd work to combine it with the word "cosmos" or maybe another word for "place" or "everything", or how I'd specifically combine them for that matter. I thought of Syneidesicosm and Cosmosyneidesis and Syncosmeidesis which didn't sit right bc I figured I was butchering the language and etymological rules, much like a caveman making the "English" word dogcargoingfast or coolcomputerchair :lol:
Any pointers would be appreciated! (I know there's almost certainly not a clean preexisting word in Greek for a neural network multiverse, but for my purposes I'd just like the prefixes and roots n suffixes of it to make some kinda sense even if it's a hapax legomenon/not a real historical Greek word.)

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Re: Could use some help making up a word and nailing down the literal meaning of the word syneidesis

Post by Barry Hofstetter » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:52 pm

Greek and a multi-verse neural network? Does it really get any better than that? :) I'm also impressed that you seem to know what a hapax legomenon is -- your request is a step above the normal "Can you translate CEO into ancient Greek for a tatoo" request...

I think syneidesis is admirably suited for what you want:

LSJ wrote:συνείδησις, εως, ἡ, knowledge shared with another, τῶν ἀλγημάτων (in a midwife) Sor.1.4.
2. communication, information, εὑρήσεις σ. PPar.p.422 (ii A.D.); σ. εἰσήνεγκαν τοῖς κολλήγαις αὐτῶν POxy.123.13 (iii/iv A.D.).
3. knowledge, λῦε ταῦτα πάντα μὴ διαλείψας ἀγαθῇ σ. (v.l. ἀγαθῇ τύχῃ) Hp.Ep.1.
4. consciousness, awareness, [τῆς αὑτοῦ συστάσεως] Chrysipp.Stoic.3.43, cf. Phld.Rh.2.140 S., 2Ep.Cor.4.2, 5.11, 1Ep.Pet.2.19; τῆς κακοπραγμοσύνης Democr.297, cf. D.S.4.65, Ep.Hebr.10.2; κατὰ συνείδησιν ἀτάραχοι διαμενοῦσι Hero Bel.73; inner consciousness, ἐν σ. σου βασιλέα μὴ καταράσῃ LXXEc.10.20; in 1Ep.Cor.8.7 συνειδήσει is f.l. for συνηθεία.
Liddell, H. G., Scott, R., Jones, H. S., & McKenzie, R. (1996). A Greek-English lexicon (p. 1704). Oxford: Clarendon Press.

I also like cosmosyneidesis. Such a compound would not be impossible in ancient Greek, and even better fits the context you are creating.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter
The Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.

Zionswasd
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Could use some help making up a word and nailing down the literal meaning of the word syneidesis

Post by Zionswasd » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:51 am

Oh thank you! Cosmosyneidesis works for me! I was worried I was messing up some kinda shift or subtraction of letters in the different parts to make them grammatically correct, but thank you very much for the pointer! I'll inevitably be back to find out if more made up words work, til I can figure it out myself a bit more. :mrgreen: