Deipnosophistae 1.4

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Vershneim
Textkit Neophyte

Deipnosophistae 1.4

Post by Vershneim » Fri May 17, 2019 9:49 pm

Having trouble parsing a sentence in Athenaeus's Deipnosophistae (I start the quotation a bit early for context; the bold part is what I'm having trouble with):
λέγει δ᾽ αὐτὸν καὶ ἔμπειρον εἶναι ἱερουργιῶν τῶν νομισθεισῶν ὑπό τε τοῦ τῆς πόλεως ἐπωνύμου Ῥωμύλου καὶ Πομπιλίου Νουμᾶ καὶ ἐπιστήμονα νόμων πολιτικῶν. πάντα δὲ ταῦτα μόνον ἐξευρεῖν ἐκ παλαιῶν ψηφισμάτων καὶ δογμάτων τηρήσεως, ἔτι δὲ νόμων συναγωγῆς οὓς ἔτι διδάσκουσιν, ὡς τὰ Πινδάρου <ὁ> κωμῳδιοποιὸς Εὔπολίς φησιν ἤδη κατασεσιγασμένα ὑπὸ τῆς τῶν πολλῶν ἀφιλοκαλίας.
My translation:

And he says that he was experienced in those things which were practiced in sacrifices both by the city named for Romulus and by Numa Pompilius, and that he was wise in the laws of politics. And all these things he says he found out only from old decrees and observances, and *still out of a compilation of laws which they still teach*, which, as Eupolis the comic poet says of the works of Pindar, have before now been silenced by the lack of love for beauty of many people.

I'm confused by the bit in asterisks in my translation: Why is ἔτι repeated? What is the first one doing? Why does the second one seem to give an incorrect translation -- it doesn't make sense logically (nor does it agree with online translations) that they still teach this compilation of laws, since he says they have ἤδη κατασεσιγασμένα.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Deipnosophistae 1.4

Post by bedwere » Fri May 17, 2019 10:58 pm

I propose besides for the first ἔτι

Constantinus Philo
Textkit Fan

Re: Deipnosophistae 1.4

Post by Constantinus Philo » Sat May 18, 2019 2:47 am

They still teach the laws that are reduced to silence as the poems of Pindar.... That is the laws that are on paper without any legal force actually. κατασεσιγασμένα refers to the laws.