Looking for a memrise collaborator.

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Sohtnirybal
Textkit Neophyte

Looking for a memrise collaborator.

Post by Sohtnirybal » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:47 pm

Hello everybody

Remember this book Sprechen sie Attisch? "It was discused previously here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10924&p=202105&hili ... ch#p202105 "

Well, I don´t know if you are familiar with memrise app, in any case I think it´s a very useful app to memorize, learn, and in our case I really find it useful for example to learn the principal parts of verbs, and so on. I think that app is really good stuff to get familiar with greek, to memorize the main meanings of particles, prepositions(at least I speak from my own experience, the courses in the app makes you to get much more familiar and to learn vocabulary and main verbs, I think it´s a good stuff to neophytes in antique languagues)

Well, I made from the book -Sprechen sie Attisch- a memrise course, which I think could be really useful to memorize the vocabulary, the expressions and so on. What I´m looking for here is a collaborator, a friend who help me to correct mistakes, to add, for example, alternatives answers, to correct accents and so on and so forth, maybe to add audio files, and comments in general.

On the other hand I take advantage to promote the course and to make much persons study it, and memorize it.

Thanks and hope your answers.
M.

donhamiltontx
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Looking for a memrise collaborator.

Post by donhamiltontx » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:45 pm

Hi, there. Welcome to the Textkit community and enjoy your stay.

What did you name your course? I can not find anything under Sprechen sie Attisch at Memrise.
ἐς Τροίαν πειρώμενοι ἦνθον ᾿Αχαιοί,
καλλίστα παίδων: πείρᾳ θην πάντα τελεῖται.
Theocritus, Idyll 15

Sohtnirybal
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sohtnirybal » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:35 pm

Thanks, the course is here https://www.memrise.com/course/2204032/ ... ent-greek/ idk why it does not appear, it happens several times

donhamiltontx
Textkit Neophyte

Post by donhamiltontx » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:08 am

Okay, I found it using the link you provided. But I still can't find it using the search box. I don't know how Memrise orders the titles of its courses. Perhaps there is a FAQ that I've been too lazy to find.
A trivial point perhaps, but in the title of the course, English should be capitalized as I have just typed it, and "an" should be "and": --> Sprechen Sie Attisch? (English and Ancient Greek)
Note that word has it on another forum I belong to that Memrise is going to put community courses like yours at another location. Here is the site with that information: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 14&t=10133 I myself am signed up at Memrise, but I never received that email. Nevertheless I assume it is true that Memrise will move the user-made courses.
At any rate, best of luck with the course you constructed. I know it took a lot of time and effort.
ἐς Τροίαν πειρώμενοι ἦνθον ᾿Αχαιοί,
καλλίστα παίδων: πείρᾳ θην πάντα τελεῖται.
Theocritus, Idyll 15

seneca2008
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by seneca2008 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:01 pm

I have briefly looked at your memrise course. I commend your industry but the translations into English are hardly idiomatic. “Well, Hello there!” has quite a different meaning in England than you might imagine. “How goes it” a literal translation of the German but utterly unidiomatic. ‘Very nice” is so bland in English that I am not sure it really captures “οὐκ ἄχαρις“.

Have you translated German into English or Greek into English?

This exemplifies the difficulty of translation. Whether you are satisfied with the result will depend on the goal you are seeking to achieve.

Good luck!

Sohtnirybal
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sohtnirybal » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:43 pm

seneca2008 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:01 pm
I have briefly looked at your memrise course. I commend your industry but the translations into English are hardly idiomatic. “Well, Hello there!” has quite a different meaning in England than you might imagine. “How goes it” a literal translation of the German but utterly unidiomatic. ‘Very nice” is so bland in English that I am not sure it really captures “οὐκ ἄχαρις“.

Have you translated German into English or Greek into English?

This exemplifies the difficulty of translation. Whether you are satisfied with the result will depend on the goal you are seeking to achieve.

Good luck!
Hallo, No I don't, I don't make any translation. I just take the translations that were proposed in the link I pasted formerly. Yes, you are right the translations seem to me so rigid (I'm not a english native speaker)and yes, I'm looking precisely for a collaborator to correct them and make more vividly those translations. I would add that this memrise course just taked me one entirely evening to maked it so you will see that It has more mistakes than virtues (My task was only to organize the info and tabulate it in an excel presentation then to upload it), but I think it´s an approach to learn this book, and yes I agree with you in the “οὐκ ἄχαρις“ for example, and in really other phrases that need to be explained (maybe gramatically and sintactically) but not only that but also comments that make complex the translations and not so flat, so yes I think what I did was just the first approach, but the course absolutely is to be made.