Ordering books online

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Ordering books online

Post by Paul Derouda » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:36 pm

Where do you get your books (in Europe)? For over a decade, I have mostly ordered my new books from Amazon. For the last couple of years, however, their packaging quality has collapsed, and more often than not my books are bruised when they arrive. They do take returns, but it requires some effort, and they first try to refund you only part of the shipping for the return. They do refund everything when you keep insisting and providing them with all sorts of receipts, but I'm fed up for now. Until they start wrapping their books correctly, I'm over with them. So, any recommendations?

wilberfloss
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Ordering books online

Post by wilberfloss » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:12 pm

Hi, Paul.
Living in England, I've found that the Book Depository offer a decent service. They protect their books in stiff cardboard packaging, robust enough, at least in my experience, to prevent any damage in transit. Postage is free, of course, delivery is usually within three to five working days and they include a bookmark with every order. bookdepository.com is their web address.
Regards,
Richard.

jeidsath
Administrator

Post by jeidsath » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:19 pm

Book Depository is Amazon too now. It's hard to get away from them.

Welcome to Textkit, Richard!
Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

μὴ δ’ οὕτως ἀγαθός περ ἐὼν θεοείκελ’ Ἀχιλλεῦ
κλέπτε νόῳ, ἐπεὶ οὐ παρελεύσεαι οὐδέ με πείσεις.

wilberfloss
Textkit Neophyte

Post by wilberfloss » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:43 pm

Thanks, Joel. I'm happy to be here. Best wishes.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:17 am

Amazon has taken over practically everything. The question now is How do we stop them?

ἑκηβόλος
Textkit Zealot

Post by ἑκηβόλος » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:08 am

Ordering from Europe, I have had very few problems with (Heffers and now) Blackwells. Even when the problems were not their "fault", they owned the problem, kept in regular contact and we came to workable solutions. Specifically, their packaging has never been a problem.

The location of a bookseller is not a clear indication of where the book will ship from. In the case when you can not choose tge currency for payment, your bank may be able to give you a multicurrency credit card, if payinging for things outsude your currency's zone is costly. Although it is (I see upon checking now owned by Amazon), Abe books is not a centralised warehouse / distribution centre. Individual retailers who list on Abe will, I guess, have their own packaging standards.

My own experience buying books from Amazon - Owen & Goodspeed - was positive.
οὐ μέν πως πάντες βασιλεύσομεν ἐνθάδ᾽ Ἀχαιοί:
οὐκ ἀγαθὸν πολυκοιρανίη: εἷς κοίρανος ἔστω,
εἷς βασιλεύς, ᾧ δῶκε Κρόνου πάϊς ἀγκυλομήτεω
σκῆπτρόν τ᾽ ἠδὲ θέμιστας, ἵνά σφισι βουλεύῃσι. (Illiad 2.203-206)