Greek colloquies

Use this forum to organize a study group around a specific textbook. Before starting, you might wish to advertise your plan on other forums first.
rmedinap
Textkit Neophyte

Greek colloquies

Post by rmedinap » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:10 pm

So I've been searching around for Greek colloquies that I can "easily" adapt for students. There's of course the "common" and excellent material like:

Blackie's Greek and English dialogues, for use in schools and colleges

Gretser's translation of four of Spanmüller's (Pontanus) Progymnasmata.

Johnson's (Joannides') Sprechen Sie Attisch? . Even in a new edition and an Italian translation.

Possel's (Posselius) Οἰκείων διαλόγων βιβλίον seu familiarium colloquiorum libellus Graece et Latine.

Shirley's Εἰσαγωγή sive Introductorium Anglo-Latino-Graecum, complectens colloquia familiaria, Aesopi fabulas et Luciani selectiores Mortuorum dialogos in usum scholarum

bedwere once suggested me the Griechisches Comenianisches Vestibulum.

On this forum I found these De variis latinis graecisque colloquendi formulis.

And Bentius' Thesaurus pure loquendi, et scribendi, Græcolatinus nouus

A lot of anonymous people have put online things like this Καθημεριναὶ φράσεις ἐν τῷ διδασκαλείῳ.

And there's the old colloquia found in the Hermeneumata Pseudodositheana. We have a new edition of these colloquia by Eleanor Dickey. Preview here.

Though not a colloquium I've also found the letters in the Epistolographi Graeci to be of extreme value, specially considering that we often just write Greek instead of speaking it.

But apart from these I have not been able to find any good and "easy" colloquies or similar. Do any of you know of anything that I may have missed?

I'd be specially interested if someone knew about colloquies that spoke about grammar. There's one such dialogue in Blackie's dialogues and a lot of vocabulary in the appendix of Rico's Polis, as well as in the appendix of Clyde's Greek syntax and in Bardón y Gómez' Lectiones Graecae, sive manu-ductio Hispaniae in Linguam Graecam. But I have not been able to find much that's in "dialogue format".
Last edited by rmedinap on Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Greek colloquies

Post by Gonzalo » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:05 pm

Great collection!

We could add:

Moschopulos' Σχέδη here. More information about this kind of material at Hunger's Byzantine Literature (Die hochsprachliche profane Literatur der Byzantiner; it's also been translated in very good Greek) in the chapter about Ἐπιμερισμοί and Σχεδογραφία (pp. 22ss).

And of course Lascaris.

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:47 pm

This is a great find, a nice companion to Clyde (whom Jeidsath had previously brought to our attention.) How did you come to discover Gómez?

rmedinap
Textkit Neophyte

Post by rmedinap » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:24 am

Markos wrote: How did you come to discover Gómez?
I know it from the Vivarium Novum, my Greek teacher there recommended it. It also appears in their bibliography.
Gonzalo wrote: More information about this kind of material at Hunger's Byzantine Literature (Die hochsprachliche profane Literatur der Byzantiner; it's also been translated in very good Greek) in the chapter about Ἐπιμερισμοί and Σχεδογραφία (pp. 22ss).
Thank you very much for that reference ;___; The kind people of Google Books allowed me to read exactly the pages you mentioned.