Ben-Hur Translation Page 8: The Great Roman Fleet

This board is a composition workshop, like a writers' workshop: post your work with questions about style or vocabulary, comment on other people's work, post composition challenges on some topic or form, or just dazzle us with your inventive use of galliambics.
bedwere
Global Moderator

Ben-Hur Translation Page 8: The Great Roman Fleet

Post by bedwere »

Corrections or comments kindly requested. Thank you!

Page 8

Post with links to previous pages.

For three long years Ben-Hur strained at his oar aboard the Roman galley. The slaves, held in silence, lived a life where misery becomes a habit of the soul and body take on an unbelievable endurance…

Benhur tres annos laboravit remigando in Romana navi. Servi, in silentio cohibiti, talem vitam vivebant qua animus ex more in miseria esset, corpus autem incredibili modo patiens fieret.

Ὁ Βενὼρ ἔτη τρία ἐπόνησεν ἐρέσσων ἐν τῇ Ῥωμαϊκῇ νηΐ. Οἱ δ' ὑπηρέται κατασεσιγασμένοι τοιοῦτον βίον ἐβίουν ὥστε τὴν μὲν ψυχὴν συνεχῶς κακοπαθεῖν, τὸ δὲ σῶμα θαυμασίως καρτερὸν γίγνεσθαι.

Unknown to the galley slaves, their ship was the flagship of a great Roman fleet under the command of Quintus Arrius, a renowned admiral…

Clam autem remigibus, navis eorum erat prætoria magnæ Romanæ classis, imperante illustri præfecto Quinto Arrio.

Κρύφα δὲ τῶν ὑπηρετῶν, ἡ ναῦς αὐτῶν ἦν μεγάλου Ῥωμαϊκοῦ ναυτικοῦ ναυαρχίς, τοῦ εὐδόξου ναυάρχου Κοΐντου Ἀρρίου στρατηγοῦντος.

Caesar has ordered me to destroy the great armada of pirates that is plaguing the trade routes in the Aegean sea.

Cæsar jussit me delere illam classem prædonum magnam quæ vexat cursus negotiatorum in Mari Ægæo.

Καῖσαρ ἐκέλευσέ με καθελεῖν τὸ μέγα τῶν λῃστῶν ναυτικόν, τὸ κακοῦν τὰς τῶν ἐμπόρων ὁδοὺς ἐν τῷ Αἰγαίῳ πελάγει.

Under oar and sail the fleet of over a hundred Roman ships set forth to battle the dread sea rovers in their lair …

Remis velisque classis major centum Romanis navibus processit ad pugnandum cum diris prædonibus in latibulo eorum.

Κώπαις τε καὶ ἱστοῖς τὸ πλέον ἑκατὸν Ῥωμαϊκῶν νεῶν ναυτικὸν ἐπορεύθη μάχεσθαι τοῖς δεινοῖς λῃσταῖς ἐν τῷ κευθμῶνι αὐτῶν.

On a tour of inspection Ben-Hur’s powerful physique and the long, even sweep of his oar drew the admirals’ attention ...,

Benhur, cum validus corpore esset, tum longo planoque pulsu remigaret, conspectus est a recensente præfecto.

Ὁ Βενὼρ, τὰ μὲν ἰσχυρὸς τὸ σῶμα ὤν, τὰ δὲ μακρῷ τε καὶ ὁμαλῷ ὠθισμῷ ἐρέσσων,
συνώφθη ὑπὸ τοῦ ἐξετάζοντος ναυάρχου.

Knowest thou slave number sixty? He is a Jew and very young. By the gods, the fellow impresses me!

Cognovistine sexagesimum servum? Judæus enim est et vero juvenis. Per deos, admiror hominem!

Ἆρα ἔγνως τὸν ἑξηκοστὸν ὑπηρέτην; Ἰουδαῖος γάρ ἐστι καὶ δὴ νέος. Πρὸς τῶν θεῶν, θαυμάζω τὸν ἄνθρωμπον.

He is our best oarsman. I have seen him bend his oar almost to breaking.

Ille est optimus remex noster. Nam vidi eum ita flectere remum ut pæne rumperetur.

Ἐκεῖνός ἐστιν ὁ βέλτιστος ἐρέτης ἡμῶν. Εἶδον γὰρ αὐτὸν κάμπτοντα τὴν κώπην ὥστε σχεδὸν καταρραγῆναι.

He is obedient and offered his services whenever there was need in storm or battle.

Obsequens, professus est se adjutorem utcumque opus esset et in procella et in pugna.

Εὐπειθὴς ὤν, ὡμολόγησε συμπράσσειν ὁπότε χρεία εἴη καὶ ἐν χειμῶνι καὶ ἐν μάχῃ.

If I should be on deck when his rest-time comes, send him to me. Let him come alone.

Si in ponte adsim, cum venerit tempus ad quietem, mitte eum ad me. Solus autem veniat.

Εἰ παρεἴην ἐπὶ τοῦ καταστρώματος, ὅταν ἔλθῃ ὁ χρόνος τοῦ ἀναπαύεσθαι, πέμψον αὐτὸν πρός με. Ἐλθέτω δὲ μόνος.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Ben-Hur Translation Page 8: The Great Roman Fleet

Post by bedwere »

If you have corrections, don't let the fact that I uploaded images deter you. My words are not set in electrons, not in stone!

Latine

Ἑλληνιστί