Help! Typing and viewing Greek fonts on the internet

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Nathan B.
Textkit Neophyte

Help! Typing and viewing Greek fonts on the internet

Post by Nathan B. » Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:41 am

Hello there; I am a newcomer to the Textkit community, and I am hoping that I can find help with two problems I'm having.

1) I want to type in polytonic Greek; as per the "Sticky" thread, I enabled polytonic Greek, and can achieve the full range of symbols with the Palatino Linotype font when using email, MS Word, or Notepad. Unfortunately, I cannot post the accented characters to the web; only the unaccented ones. If it helps anyone to answer this question, you may see this link: http://nathanbauman.com/nathanbaumanhow ... greek.html .

2) When I visit certain webpages, for example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attic_Greek , I cannot get all the Greek characters to display properly. In this case, I can see the the first three letters of the Greek word for "land" in the paradigms, but cannot see some of the fourth characters--I can only see boxes. I've tried playing around with the encoding settings on my browser (IE6), but nothing seems to help. I also have several Greek fonts installed on my computer, but they don't appear to be helping, either.

I suspect that these problems might be related, although I'm not sure. If anyone has any advice, I would be most grateful if you would share it with me. Thank you.
Last edited by Nathan B. on Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

swiftnicholas
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by swiftnicholas » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:44 pm

Hi Nathan, Welcome to the forums. I don't know enough to help fix your problem, but you might try downloading the free Mozilla Firefox web browser. I discovered by accident that it seems to work with just about any language, most importantly ancient Greek. I had the same problem with accented characters using IE. But there are some computer savy people here who might be able to help you adjust your current setup.

~N

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Re: Help! Typing and viewing Greek fonts on the internet

Post by Paul » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:08 pm

Nathan B. wrote:2) When I visit certain webpages, for example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attic_Greek, I cannot get all the Greek characters to display properly. In this case, I can see the the first three letters of the Greek word for "land" in the paradigms, but cannot see some of the fourth characters--I can only see boxes. I've tried playing around with the encoding settings on my browser (IE6), but nothing seems to help. I also have several Greek fonts installed on my computer, but they don't appear to be helping, either.
Welcome to Texkit, Nathan.

In IE6 please follow Tools -> Internet Options -> Fonts (button at bottom of dialog) and tell me your font settings. This is almost certainly a font problem. The 4th character in the Greek word for "land" is a lowercase alpha with a macron (decimal 8113, hex 1FB1).

Also, please tell me settings for same path as above, but this time press the "Accessibility" button. Tell me if any of the checkboxes are checked in the ensuing dialog.

Cordially,

Paul

Nathan B.
Textkit Neophyte

Re: problem #2

Post by Nathan B. » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:44 pm

Thank you, Swiftnicholas & Paul!

Paul, I did what you suggested: the fonts in my browser are listed as: Language Script: Latin-based; Webpage font: Times New Roman; and Plain Text Font: Courier New. I imagine that I will have to change one or more of these, but I will wait for your reply before doing so. In the Accessibility dialogue box, none of the options are selected.