Latin via Ovid answer key

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Ovidius
Textkit Neophyte

Latin via Ovid answer key

Post by Ovidius »

Hello everyone, I'm a new member and I'd like to introduce myself. am a former latin and greek student and, years later, I am trying to re-learn both tongues on my own (I still remember almost all the grammar). I never really achieved fluency in either, though. Anyway, along with other texts, I am currently refreshing my knowledge of latin by using "LvO". While I like how the text is structured, I suffer from the lack of an answer key in the back of the book. I own the exercise book (that does include an exercise key), but there are few english-to-latin translation exercises. Does anyone of you own an official/unofficial answer key to the actual volume?

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Latin via Ovid answer key

Post by adrianus »

I looked but found none, Ovidius.
Clavem quaesivi, Ovidi, non repperi.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Adriane:

I have the Teacher's Guide to Latin via Ovid, which is more or less an Answer Key. Can't remember exactly how I came across it (a year or two ago). This evening I scanned it into a file (for my own personal amusement and use). First I scanned the paper pages into jpg files. Then I created a Word file and INSERTED all the jpg 'picture' files at one fell swoop. Then I started a free download program called PDF24 and just dragged the doc file into its Edit Window, where it was immediately converted into a pdf file. I call that neat!

But here's the catch. What does the great god Copyright say about distributing such a file to someone else? For example, to a friend, or to a fellow Latin enthusiast on another planet (naturally for no pecuniary reward)? Seems a shame I can't upload such an otherwise unavailable aid to somewhere it can be found by needy autodidacts. :(

Thoughts, anybody?

Cheers,
Int

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

That is neat, Interaxus. // Est, Interaxe, venustè factum.

Regarding the catch, what can one say? In the EU, copyright endures in a work for 70 years from the death of the author and the idea of copyright is to protect against unauthorised copying.

De problemato isto, quid dicamus? Intra Unionis Europaeae fines, jus auctoris septuagintos annos post mortem creatoris in opere manet, cuius juris argumentum est contra duplicationem extrajudicialem servare.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

SanMarcosEric
Textkit Neophyte

Post by SanMarcosEric »

Anyone interested in setting up a Latin via Ovid page on Facebook where we can work together on the problems. We can simple print out the questions, but can certainly talk about the grammar. Also, can we e-mail an answer list?

SanMarcosEric
Textkit Neophyte

Post by SanMarcosEric »

Anyone interested in setting up a Latin via Ovid page on Facebook where we can work together on the problems. We can simple print out the questions, but can certainly talk about the grammar. Also, can we e-mail an answer list?

JoKerre
Textkit Neophyte

Post by JoKerre »

Hello Interaxus,

This would be super-helpful! If you wouldn't mind sharing it, I would be very grateful!!

Best,

Jo

Interaxus wrote: Fri May 20, 2011 12:13 am Adriane:

I have the Teacher's Guide to Latin via Ovid, which is more or less an Answer Key. Can't remember exactly how I came across it (a year or two ago). This evening I scanned it into a file (for my own personal amusement and use). First I scanned the paper pages into jpg files. Then I created a Word file and INSERTED all the jpg 'picture' files at one fell swoop. Then I started a free download program called PDF24 and just dragged the doc file into its Edit Window, where it was immediately converted into a pdf file. I call that neat!

But here's the catch. What does the great god Copyright say about distributing such a file to someone else? For example, to a friend, or to a fellow Latin enthusiast on another planet (naturally for no pecuniary reward)? Seems a shame I can't upload such an otherwise unavailable aid to somewhere it can be found by needy autodidacts. :(

Thoughts, anybody?

Cheers,
Int

Placidus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Placidus »

Someone has the answer key? thanks

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Practice! Practice!
A Latin via Ovid Workbook

Teachers: When ordering Latin via Ovid and the audio material, be sure to order the free Teacher's Manual (not sent to students) that contains all of the translations of the Latin stories, plus each chapter's Exercise V, which requires the translation from English into Latin. Games and songs are included. Please request this guide by calling us at 313-577-6126.

ClassyCuss
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ClassyCuss »

You sound like a kindred spirit. I'm in the same situation as you and a big Ovid fan. The main text LvO and the workbook are available on amazon but at outrageous prices and only as hardcopies. Being an expat, it's always a (high-stakes) gamble trying to order deliveries of hardcopy books because half of them disappear in customs. Google books has an online version of LvO with missing pages in e-book format (https://books.google.co.cr/books?id=fOR ... &q&f=false) but they claim no e-book is available (obviously for copyright reasons). I really loved this bilingual annotated Ovid collection but it's not systematic like LoV: https://www.amazon.com/Ovid-Amores-Meta ... 142&sr=8-6

Placidus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Placidus »

ClassyCuss wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:33 pm You sound like a kindred spirit. I'm in the same situation as you and a big Ovid fan. The main text LvO and the workbook are available on amazon but at outrageous prices and only as hardcopies. Being an expat, it's always a (high-stakes) gamble trying to order deliveries of hardcopy books because half of them disappear in customs. Google books has an online version of LvO with missing pages in e-book format (https://books.google.co.cr/books?id=fOR ... &q&f=false) but they claim no e-book is available (obviously for copyright reasons). I really loved this bilingual annotated Ovid collection but it's not systematic like LoV: https://www.amazon.com/Ovid-Amores-Meta ... 142&sr=8-6
I have the hardback of Latin Via Ovid, the problem are the exercises as I don't know if I am doing things right. I tried to get the Teacher's manual but the e-mail bounced back. I can follow the stories up to about half the book but then I start to get lost. I have looked at that link of yours to the Amazon website, Ovid: Amores Metamorphoses and it is too advanced for me.

ClassyCuss
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ClassyCuss »

[quote=I have looked at that link of yours to the Amazon website, Ovid: Amores Metamorphoses and it is too advanced for me.
[/quote]

It's obnoxious to separate answer keys from the main text, it's like some strategy at an English public school to keep kids from cheating.

I only had one intensive Latin course in graduate school before I tackled that book and I was flabbergasted by the crazy syntax with adjectives so widely separate from the nouns that they modify and interwoven patterns of words, but the notes are very extensive and once you learn to pay very close attention to the declensions you can "wrap your head around it". It's certainly a sink or swim method, but I think you could study 17 semesters of Latin grammar and still not be able to sit down and read Ovid like a comic book, just as you could study 17 semesters of English grammar and still be dumbfounded by Finnegann's Wake. it's just a matter of persistence and attention to detail (and the notes).

When you first start reading it, it's hard to believe anybody could string together words so extravagantly but a friend once told me that the average Roman couldn't make head or tail out of Ovid either and that even prose writers like Ciicero used a very artificial, ornate style that had nothing to do with how the plebes actually spoke.

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

Ovid is not that difficult an author. He is very artful in the way he arranges words but the patterns he follows are very easy with a little experience to follow. Hyperbaton is a device used by many Latin poets. If you are used to reading prose, poetic diction can come as a surprise. I doubt if his ancient readers had much difficulty in understanding him. Propertius is much harder partly because of the state of the text we have.

Reading Ovid by Peter Jones https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reading-Ovid-M ... 824&sr=8-1

Is a suitable introduction to Ovid for intermediate students.

Very little of the literature we have has much in common with how ordinary people spoke. (traces of this can be found in Plautus) Only the rich had the leisure and means to educate their children so the potential readership for high register literature was not that huge. Making estimates of literacy rates in Rome is however fraught with difficulties.

That said I think most could understand Cicero when he spoke in Court. One always suspects that the speeches we have were elaborated and polished after he delivered them. Some of course were never actually delivered.

The most difficult classical author I have read is Tacitus who cultivated a very compressed and at times obscure style which reflected in part the subjects he wrote about. Ovid is quite clear in comparison.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.