Reading Thucydides 2014

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Post Reply
User avatar
pster
Textkit Zealot
Posts: 1071
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:05 am

Re: Thinking about Thucydides 2012

Post by pster » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:35 am

jaihare wrote:
Bob Manske wrote:I'd like to read with you. I have the OCT. How is this reading group going to work?

Bob
Good question. I won't be able to comment much at all. I want to read for my passive skills. I won't be translating or working through things very deeply. I want more exposure than anything. I don't know what others are expecting.
Well, I certainly won't be translating. But my thinking and experience is that after 700 pages passive becomes pretty active. For example, there might be some strange construction that one doesn't fully grasp. But after you have seen it 40 times you get used to it. And after 80 times, you actually completely understand it.

User avatar
pster
Textkit Zealot
Posts: 1071
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:05 am

Re: Thinking about Thucydides 2012

Post by pster » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:36 am

C. S. Bartholomew wrote:I know for sure I could not read Thucydides at the rate of two pages a day. I have the first vol of Thucydides LCL 1924. I might comment occasionally once the thread gets underway. The reading level is quite different depending on the genre. The narrative history is not as difficult as the orations. Narrative has a higher level of standard vocabulary.
Well, that seems ok, since the orations are the highlights and so worth some more work. What % of each would you say?

UPDATE: Answer: orations are about 22% of the whole.

Baker
Textkit Neophyte
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: Thinking about Thucydides 2012

Post by Baker » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:45 pm

I would like to join this group.

I have read Thucydides more than once in English translation, having only encountered the Greek in small chunks at various times. I studied the book in detail both as an undergraduate and graduate student as well as private readings on my own time. I have studied Greek both inside and outside a classroom in fits and starts for the past 7 years. Alas, my mastery is far from complete.

As far as this thread goes, I have a few questions and comments. First, what do you mean by 1 page a day. Would that be a chapter as at the Perseus website and Oxford edition? Second, I think you will find that Thucydides is as much philosophy as anyone though the style is admittedly different from, say, Aristotle. It is political philosophy at its finest. Following some of the orations and their "logic", as you call it, can and should be as difficult and rewarding as Plato. Third, I wouldn't worry too much about the vocabulary. Thucydides shouldn't have as many unique words as Herodotus simply because the focus is wildly different.

Cheers,

Eliot
Last edited by Baker on Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
pster
Textkit Zealot
Posts: 1071
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:05 am

Re: Thinking about Thucydides 2012

Post by pster » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:12 am

Baker wrote:
I have read Thucydides more than once in English translation, having only encountered the Greek in small chunks at varying times. I studied the book in detail both as an undergraduate and graduate student as well as private readings on my own time. I have studied Greek both inside and outside a classroom in fits and starts for the past 7 years. Alas, my mastery is far from complete.

As far as this thread goes, I have a few questions and comments. First, what do you mean by 1 page a day. Would that be a chapter as at the Perseus website and Oxford edition? Second, I think you will find that Thucydides is as much philosophy as anyone though the style is admittedly different from, say, Aristotle. It is political philosophy at its finest. Following some of the orations and their "logic", as you call it, can and should be as difficult and rewarding as Plato. Third, I wouldn't worry too much about the vocabulary. Thucydides shouldn't have as many unique words as Herodotus simply because the focus is wildly different.
Welcome aboard Eliot. Feel free to expatiate here in the thread whenever the mood strikes you. It would be great if we can have folks giving us historical/political insights as well as grammatical ones. One Oxford page per day. I think that is a reasonable pace and it should work out to be a very steady one. Links to the Oxford texts can be found above. Also, I am hoping/expecting/planning that we can up it to 2 pages a day once we finish Book I, because it would be nice to get through it in about a year. We really need people to get deep enough into the text so that there is no turning back!!! Folks might also want to check out Sidgwick because he uses many examples from Thucydides to explain various nuances of Attic syntax. For example, elegant and economical uses of ws come to mind.

User avatar
pster
Textkit Zealot
Posts: 1071
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:05 am

Re: Thinking about Thucydides 2012

Post by pster » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:47 am

If you look at the Oxford, http://www.archive.org/stream/thucydidi ... 6/mode/2up, there is some kind of introduction thingie in Greek, transliterated MARKELLINOU. Is that some kind of later bio of Th.?

Baker
Textkit Neophyte
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: Thinking about Thucydides 2012

Post by Baker » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:59 am

That is the "Life of Thucydides" by a man named Marcellinus. I don't know who he was and most "knowledge" of him is conjecture. I think he lived in the 5th or 6th century A.D. and might have been a translator of Thucydides appending his own intro.

User avatar
jaihare
Textkit Zealot
Posts: 924
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:47 am
Location: Tel Aviv, Israel
Contact:

Re: Thinking about Thucydides 2012

Post by jaihare » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:48 pm

When are we going to get started? New Year is tomorrow!!

User avatar
pster
Textkit Zealot
Posts: 1071
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:05 am

Re: Thinking about Thucydides 2012

Post by pster » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:35 pm

jaihare wrote:When are we going to get started? New Year is tomorrow!!

We will start as soon as 4 people say that they are ready or Jan. 8, whichever comes first! I am curious how people think they are going to do it. I think that using Perseus is fastest.

User avatar
jaihare
Textkit Zealot
Posts: 924
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:47 am
Location: Tel Aviv, Israel
Contact:

Re: Thinking about Thucydides 2012

Post by jaihare » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:06 am

There are four people in this thread who have said that they want to do it. :)

I've divided the text into readings day-by-day with color distinctions. This is the text for all of January according to the page divisions in the Oxford version.

I've set the start date as Jan 8.

Baker
Textkit Neophyte
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: Thinking about Thucydides 2012

Post by Baker » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:36 pm

You rock Jason! I'm in for January 8th as the start date.

Cheers,
Eliot

Post Reply