Latin Wallpaper

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
mariek
Global Moderator

Latin Wallpaper

Post by mariek »

Does anyone use an aethetic Latin wallpaper as their desktop background picture? Are there any sites with such downloads?

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Re:Latin Wallpaper

Post by Keesa »

Nope...I found plenty of sites with "Latin Pop Star wallpaper", but no Latin. Let us know if you find anything!

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I used to have my wallpaper set to a tiled version of my avatar. -_^
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

You use Windows, right? My sister may know how to make one. I'll ask her.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

She says that she can almost definitely make a wallpaper with a Latin phrase on it. (Repeated over the entire screen, probably.) Is that what you're looking for? <br /><br />Keesa

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

I was just wondering whether there was something already available out there. But I guess not.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Klewlis posted a link to a nice posters page. You could zoom in one of the posters in PDF and capture the screen and save it as an image file to use it as a wallpaper.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

I could make some wallpapers if you like, just need to tell me what text you want. I like making that sort of stuff... my painting programme is about the only pc programme I've actually worked out how to use properly...

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Do you mean something like this: http://emma.bailey.bei.t-online.de/latinwallpaper.jpg<br /><br />It's Catull carmen 1

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Yes, that's what I meant. Something with a Latin theme...

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

That's neat, Emma! I like that. If I ever get a computer of my own, I'll have to make that my wallpaper...Mamma has the say on the wallpaper on her computer. ;)

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Uhmmm... you do know that you can have different users on one PC, don't you Keesa? So when you log on Windows let's you choose whether you want to use your settings or those of your mother. That way you could have your own wallpaper, arrangement of icons and your own start menu. It's quite easy to create new users. :)<br /><br />I just sketched that wallpaper, if you want me to I can do it properly (like write the text myself, as I don't like using ugly computer fonts, and don't have enought money to pay for nice ones.)<br />I could do it in my German lessons (well, and in Chemistry, too)... that's where I drew my new avatar. The lessons are just so boring! :P<br />Anyway my printer isn't working correctly, it only prints in green and blue at the moment, which is really annoying, so I'm copying all the pics I've printed during lessons. Colour would be nicer, but even black and white is better than green (eventhough the scan is rubbish)!

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=Emma_85 link=board=6;threadid=651;start=0#6283 date=1064002971]<br />Uhmmm... you do know that you can have different users on one PC, don't you Keesa? So when you log on Windows let's you choose whether you want to use your settings or those of your mother. That way you could have your own wallpaper, arrangement of icons and your own start menu. It's quite easy to create new users. :)<br /><br />I know you can do that on my sister's computer; she just bought it this summer, and it has the latest version of Windows, but I don't think you can do that on this computer...it's a little bit older. ;) <br /><br /><br />I could do it in my German lessons (well, and in Chemistry, too)... that's where I drew my new avatar. <br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />You drew that?! :o You are a talented artist...I can't draw people to save my life, and my mother is an art teacher! <br />

Puella Parva
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Puella Parva »

Good grief Emma!!!! You are a good artist! I can draw cartoons, and copy any picture-except people.<br /><br />Great job!<br />

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Thanks, but really I need more time to do a picture (and some quite...). <br />I'm working on an art project at the moment, but oils is definatly not for me... or maybe I just need a bit more practise :(. I much prefer working in pencil. <br /><br />What version of Windows have you got Keesa? You can have different users with Win. 95 and above, is you're PC really that old?<br /><br />If people are interested in Latin wallpaper I could make some proper ones for Textkit maybe...

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

You are really good, Emma! I guessed it must be your own work. ;)<br />You could also get quickly used to calligraphy. Uncials or some neat handwriting would look perfect on your drawings for wallpapers.<br />If you find a text you would like to read every now and then, you can write it down and do some scan and merge job with a nice picture or drawing to make your own, unique wallpaper.<br />

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Ok, like after ages I've finally remembered to post the new version. I did try, mingshey, but I'm not very talented at calligraphy :cry: . I'll have to practice a bit more I think.
So now it's in my terrible hand writing (well, my teachers often think it's terrible), and a new background, too.

http://emma.bailey.bei.t-online.de/latinwallpaper2.jpg

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

It's lovely, Emma!

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Thanks :D ! It's just replaced Johnny Depp as my back ground... I wonder how long it will last though :wink: , I think Johnny was sexier.

Odysseus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Odysseus »

Crazy Catullus and his sparrows.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Emma_85 wrote:Ok, like after ages I've finally remembered to post the new version. I did try, mingshey, but I'm not very talented at calligraphy :cry: . I'll have to practice a bit more I think.
So now it's in my terrible hand writing (well, my teachers often think it's terrible), and a new background, too.

http://emma.bailey.bei.t-online.de/latinwallpaper2.jpg
I like it, Emma! Far much better.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

If you don't like your own calligraphy, Emma, you could just use the calligraphic fonts you can download freely from the web, like this:

http://bibliofile.mc.duke.edu/gww/fonts ... aphic.html
http://bibliofile.mc.duke.edu/gww/fonts/fonts.html
http://cgm.cs.mcgill.ca/~luc/greek.html

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Where are the sparrows? Da mihi passeres!
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Cool! Thanks mingshey!
Lol, benissimus, the sparrow isn't in this poem.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

O my girl loves her sparrow~
O the sparrow is dead~
O the sparrow was so beautiful~
O why did you take the sparrow away~

Pretty much sums up the sparrow story. To sum up the whole Lesbia affair (or non-affair) would require about 20 lines of that stuff. :roll:

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

You also have to know that sparrows were the birds of Venus and stuff like that...

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Emma_85 wrote:You also have to know that sparrows were the birds of Venus and stuff like that...
Funny-I don't think of sparrows as being the favorite birds of the goddess of love.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

No, the Romans were strange weren't they? But that information is quite important if you want to understand the poems. If you don't know that the sparrow is a sex symbol, it's harder to understand them :P

Odysseus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Odysseus »

Emma_85 wrote:No, the Romans were strange weren't they? But that information is quite important if you want to understand the poems. If you don't know that the sparrow is a sex symbol, it's harder to understand them :P
Ah, it makes a bit more sense now. He was certainly a passionate chap, even with his blokey mates.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Certainly. It's a good thing he used symbols in most of his poetry because when he was feeling really bad, he sort of went for a more vulgar tone... hehe...

Odysseus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Odysseus »

benissimus wrote:Certainly. It's a good thing he used symbols in most of his poetry because when he was feeling really bad, he sort of went for a more vulgar tone... hehe...
Speaking of vulgar tone, I can't remember which author it was, but one event that sticks in my mind is of a crass entertainer brining guests around for dinner and a night of entertainment. One of the things the host did was relieve himself in a chamber pot in the triclinum and dry his hands on the hair of a couple of handy long-haired lads. Funny stuff :)

vulgarissimus

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Yuck! That reminds me of the infamous Diogenes...

It was probably Juvenal though.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

I want to go back 2000 years and write something crazy, about Jesus perhaps and watch opinions nowadays change and people become shocked and/or inspired.

But now "neo-latin" is just for crazy new guys and their writing means nothing, relatively.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Certainly. It's a good thing he used symbols in most of his poetry because when he was feeling really bad, he sort of went for a more vulgar tone... hehe...
I haven't read anything by Ovid, yet, that I would call vulgar. Writers then weren't as prude then as they are today, but Ovid was never vulgar.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I made a wallpaper with Catullus XCIV. Episcopus would probably like it... :shock:

makaush
Textkit Neophyte

this thread here has a link!

Post by makaush »

viewtopic.php?t=980 this thread started by mingshey has a link to a collection with jpeg scans of some historic documents with latin on 'em!!