Oxford volume of Lucian's True History?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Helikwps
Textkit Neophyte

Oxford volume of Lucian's True History?

Post by Helikwps »

Hello everyone! This is my first post beyond the intro and I'm really grateful that this board exists.

Could I trouble you all with an obscure book question? I'm trying to locate an Oxonii Greek volume of Lucian that contains his True History, aka True Story. I hear there were Luciani opera series put out by Oxford in 1972 and 1987, but nowhere can I find exactly which Tomus contains the "Alethe diegemata". (I understand Adventure in the Whale's Belly is a great early read for a kid.)

I'm aware of the Loeb but am trying to go Oxford if at all possible. Thanks so much!

Tim aka helikwps

Craig_Thomas
Textkit Member

Re: Oxford volume of Lucian's True History?

Post by Craig_Thomas »

It's in tomus I. You can see a preview of it on Google Books here and see the index for all four tomi here.

Helikwps
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Helikwps »

Thanks much Craig! (And for the links.) You put an end to literally weeks of searching. Much appreciated!

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

οὐ μανθάνω γράφειν, ἀλλὰ γράφω τοῦ μαθεῖν.

Helikwps
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Helikwps »

Holy Moly Markos, thanks for costing me another $15! I had just finished my purchase of Oxonii and Loeb eds when I saw your link to this volume, which is clearly a must-have.

I'm amazed at this new print-on demand trend, where independent scholars do commentary and facing-vocab of Greek texts in a new and elegant script -- not like the 12th-generation print-offset I used for Xenophon a few years back -- Geoffrey Steadman's books and now this... Absolutely great and thanks!

Helikwps
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Helikwps »

This volume arrived and it's absolutely brilliant. In fact I'm getting another copy to read along with my kid. Thanks so much Markos, I never would have known of it if not for your tip.

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

Thanks so much Markos, I never would have known of it if not for your tip.
Glad you liked it.

{ χαίρω μὲν οὖν μαθὼν ὅτι ἐν τούτῳ τῷ βιβλίῳ εὐδόκησας. }
οὐ μανθάνω γράφειν, ἀλλὰ γράφω τοῦ μαθεῖν.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Just Brilliant, Marke!
I should add those readers in my shopping cart at amazon right now!