Favorite Greek or Latin moment in the movies

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
mariek
Global Moderator

Favorite Greek or Latin moment in the movies

Post by mariek »

Just thought I'd throw out a fun question for Friday. :D I can't think of too many, the Latin moment that comes to mind is in the beginning of "Dead Poets Society" where some instructor is going through the declensions of agricola. Not exactly a favorite moment, just the one that comes to mind. :?

Do you have any favorite Greek or Latin moments in the movies?

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Well...it's not exactly a movie, but on the BBC a month ago there was a fantastic programme, set in Roman times, following the life of a slave who becomes an elite gladiator. He is training in the barracks along with other gladiators and an extremely pulchritudinous Roman girl with long wavy black hair says, "Illi fortiores sunt." It was the 'indecent' way in which she said it that was funny plus it was great to hear some one like hear speak sweet latin like that.

In the phenomenal, insanely hilarious British BBC Comedy "I'm Alan Partridge", Alan is in the Petrol station. A guy named Dan walks in. The petrol clerk asks, which pump his car might be at; Dan says, its the one with the Lexus by it. "Aha!" exclaims Alan, "...Lexi! (Which is the plural.)"
For Alan (notoriously) also drives a Lexum.

In Beverly Hills 90210 there was this girl whom Brandon was loving, as usual. She studied latin. After having heard about this, one of these two pretty, stupid girls (one of whom is Brandon's sister, the other her best friend), I can't remember which one, says "Who'd wanna date a girl who does Latin?" You can probably guess my monosyllabic response to that :lol:

Gladiators in the aforementioned BBC programme are fighting; the 'referee' shouts "PUGNATE!" No messing about.

On this stupid cheap T.V program that my little sisters watch called "The Worst Witch" they come up with stupid mangled half latin half nonsense cheap spells. It's funny, pathetic, saddening and amusing simultaneously.

There are certainly more but those are 4 random ones that 'spring to mind', if you might excuse the idiom.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

'Life of Brian'
Do I need to say more? :wink:

There was also a programme on TV on mice in Latin the other day, though I didn't understand much because it was in Latin :P . It was funny though, when some roman women freaked out about finding mice in some sacks of grain. I didn't finish watching it though, as my sister wanted to watch pop stars (a casting show, where none of the contestants can sing, except for the Bosnian girl.)

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Unfortunately, I don't get the "Life of Brian" reference since I never saw the movie. :(

A show on mice, in Latin! What will they think of next? :roll:

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

My favorite musical is Evita, which contains quite a bit of latin (only one of the reasons it's my favourite ;). Most of it is in musical form of course... latin prayers being sung, and they are beautiful.

There is also a bit of latin in the movie Tombstone, I believe, though I can't really remember what is said.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

When did you become a moderator? :shock:
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Look what happens when you blink! :wink:

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Next thing you know, Episcopus will be in charge and we'll all be singing hymns :twisted:
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Next thing you know, Episcopus will be in charge and we'll all be singing hymns
That is Latin football hymns :wink:
Unfortunately, I don't get the "Life of Brian" reference since I never saw the movie.
Arhhg! You must watch it! It's a crime not to watch it :P .

Brian is painting graffiti on the wall in Latin, saying the Romans should go home, but his grammar is all wrong. So a Roman soldier sees him painting the graffiti and makes him paint it 100 times all over the other buildings in the square with the correct grammar:

Centurion: What is this then? Romanes eunt domus, "People called Romanes they go the house"?
Brian It-it says, "Romans, go home"!
Centurion: No, it doesn't! What's Latin for "Roman"? [grabs Brian's ear] Come on, come on!
Brian: Romanus!
Centurion: Goes like?
Brian: Annus!
Centurion: Vocative plural of annus is...?
Brian: Anni?
Centurion: [writes] Romani. And eunt? What is eunt?
Brian: "Go"! Let-
Centurion: Conjugate the verb "to go".
Brian: Ire; eo, is, it, imus, itis, eunt!
Centurion: So eunt is...?
Brian: Third person plural, present indicative. "They go!"
Centurion: But "Romans, go home" is an order, so you must use the...?
Brian: The... imperative!
Centurion: Which is...?
Brian: I!
Centurion: [twisting Brian's ear] How many Romans?
Brian: [yelling] I.. Plural, plural! Ite, ite!
Centurion: [writing] Ite. Domus? Nominative? But "go home", it is motion towards, isn't it, boy?
Brian: Dative, sir!
[The centurion promptly draws his swords and presses it against Brian's throat. Brian yells:]
No, not dative! Not the dative, sir! No! The... accusative, accusative! Domum, sir, ad domum!
Centurion: Except that domus takes the...?
Brian: The locative, sir!
Centurion: Which is?
Brian: Domum!
Centurion: [writing] Domum... -um [sheathing his sword] Understand?
[Brian nods eagerly]
Now, write it out a hundred times!
Brian: Yes, sir, thank you, sir! Hail Caesar!
Centurion: Hail Caesar. If it's not done by sunrise, I'll cut your balls off!
Brian: Oh, thank you, sir. Thank you, sir. Hail Caesar and everything, sir!

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

A jewel !

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

Thank you Emma - I had forgotten how funny that was! Has anyone got the script to the scene where the new Roman legate is addressing the crowd? That was hilarious too!

Alundis
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Alundis »

The reading of last rites at the beginning of the Dirty Dozen

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

There is that sign in the Oracle's kitchen in the movie The Matrix, but I forget what it says...

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Emma_85 wrote:Arhhg! You must watch it! It's a crime not to watch it :P .

Ok, ok, I'll try to rent it soon, or catch it on TV if they're showing it. Thanks for the description and dialogue. It sounds hilarious! Can't wait to see it.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

benissimus wrote:There is that sign in the Oracle's kitchen in the movie The Matrix, but I forget what it says...

Really? I don't recall it. I guess I should get up off my lazy * and pop the DVD in in the player to take a lookie.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I just rewatched Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade yesterday and they had some latin tablets that they showed... however, they only show it for a few seconds so I wasn't able to get more than a few words... you'd have to freeze-frame it.

And there must be some Latin in Devil's Advocate... but I'm only saying that because it's the kind of movie which I would expect to contain Latin, so I could be wrong (it's been awhile since I've seen that...).

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Ah... here it is. It says "temet nosce", know thyself.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

mariek wrote:
Ah... here it is. It says "temet nosce", know thyself.
appropriate.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

klewlis wrote:I just rewatched Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade yesterday and they had some latin tablets that they showed... however, they only show it for a few seconds so I wasn't able to get more than a few words... you'd have to freeze-frame it.

I've been meaning to get the three Indy Jones movies on DVD... one of these days... I have it on LD (remember those???), but digging out the LD, hooking up the LD player and futzing with the connections is too much work.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Oh I get it! Last time I watched I thought "temet" was the verb... haha :(

Clemens
Textkit Member

Post by Clemens »

I just rewatched Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade yesterday and they had some latin tablets that they showed... however, they only show it for a few seconds so I wasn't able to get more than a few words... you'd have to freeze-frame it
In another forum on the Latin-topic I visit (it's a German one) a fan posted the pictures of a tablet and after two threads with 5 pages the guys there had a quite nice translation...unfortunateley the pics aren't on the server any more...:sad: