WHERE CAN I GET A GRAMMAR BOOK OF PATRISTIC LATIN?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
guilingchang
Textkit Neophyte

WHERE CAN I GET A GRAMMAR BOOK OF PATRISTIC LATIN?

Post by guilingchang »

I'm learning patristic Latin, and I want a systemic grammar book of that, anyone who can recommend one? Thank you!

Patruus
Textkit Neophyte

Re: WHERE CAN I GET A GRAMMAR BOOK OF PATRISTIC LATIN?

Post by Patruus »

guilingchang wrote:I'm learning patristic Latin, and I want a systemic grammar book of that, anyone who can recommend one? Thank you!
I have been unable to identify a grammar directed specifically to patristic Latin. I therefore suggest you use "A Primer of Ecclesiastical Latin" by John E Collins, which is very thorough and states in its preface that "the ecclesiastical Latin of this text is largely that of Jerome and Ambrose".

I have also become aware of a Latin reader in patristic authors which includes grammar/syntax notes but which appears to be available only second-hand, namely "The Osterley Selection from the Latin Fathers" by Joseph Crehan.

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

I'm not sure what your current background in Latin is, but there aren't many significant differences between the grammar of classical and patristic Latin. There are some eccentricities, but it shouldn't present many challenges for someone with a basis in classical Latin (which would have formed the basis for the education of the Church fathers themselves).

If you already have a background in Latin, the Primer in Ecclesiastical Latin would be a good place to look for notable differences. If you don't have a background in Latin, I'd suggest starting with a standard course and supplementing it with ecclesiastical readings.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

Jim Bryan
Textkit Member

Post by Jim Bryan »

An Introduction to Ecclesiastical Latin [1922] [Paperback]
by H. P. V. (Henry Preston Vaughan) Nunn (Author)

This is a grammar of Ecclesiastical Latin. There are many editions. I used the 1952 edition in seminary.
It is available at Amazon as a reprint for about $18.00

You can also down load it on the internet, but the book is easier to use.

It also has some interesting examples at the back, Pliny's letter to the emperor asking about persecuting Christians.

Jim