§. 341, Exercises, II. Page 147.

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

§. 341, Exercises, II. Page 147.

Post by Episcopus »

1. Contrary to our opinion, the enemy fled and the cavalry followed close after them.
Contrá opiniónem nostram, hostés fugérunt et equitátus eós subsecútus est. (Can that be "subsequébantur" because the cavalry was following..?)

2. From all parts of the multitude the shouts arose of those who were being wounded.
Ex omnibus multitúdinis partibus illórum clamórés quí vulnerábantur ortí sunt.

3. Caesar did not allow the cavalry to pursue too far.
Caesar nón passus equitátum est longius ínsequi.

4. The cavalry set out at the first hour and was returning to camp at the fourth hour.
Equitátus prímá hórá profectus est ac revertabantur ad castra quártá.

5. Around the Roman camp was a rampart twelve feet high.
Castra Rómána circum erat vállum pedés altum duodecim.

6. Caesar will delay three days because of the grain supply.
Caesar díés trís propter rem frumentáriam morábitur.

7. Nearly all the lieutenants feared the enemy and attempted to delay the march.
Omné feré légátí hostís verébantur atque iter morárí conátí sunt.

-> Félicitations! J'ai fini "la formation des mots" section du livre! Il faut donc apprendre le subjonctif demain!

This is a celebration...I have finished the formation of words section of the book! Tomorrow I learn the subjunctive! yay

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

My answers (I can say already that yours are very good!) :

About perfect and imperfect indicative : in the perfect you tell a story with various incidents seen as punctual links of a chain. In the imperfect you describe something that can possibly form a context in which other events happen. (perfect = > movie, imperfect => transparency).

1. Hostes contra opinionem nostram fugerunt equitatusque eos subsecutus est.
(if subsequebatur, you "show" a picture : "Cavalry following")
2. E turbae omnibus partibus oriebantur/ « orti sunt » clamores eorum qui vulnerabantur.
turbae or multitudinis : go as you please.
3. Caesar passus non est equitatum longius insequi.
4. Equitatus prima hora profectus est horaque quarta in/ad castra revertebatur.
revertEbatur because it is 3rd conj.
5. Vallum duodecim pedes altum circa castra Romana erat.
6. Caesar dies tres propter/ob rem frumentariam morabitur.
7. Paene omnes legati hostes metuebant/verebantur iterque morari conati sunt.

Le subjonctif devrait aller comme le reste : très bien. You must simply consider the subjunctive in relationship with the various conjunctions, not as an isolated form. E. g. ut + indicative = "when" and ut + subjunctive is rather "so that".

Cura ut valeas

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Merci, Skylax! Je ne peux pas croire que J'ai écrit "revertabantur"; Je savais que c'était de la troisième conjugation! C'est vrai Je vous assure!
Moi J'ai parfois mal a la tete et Je ne peux point écrire bien en englais...et le latin...alors ca... :wink: cet eveque il n'est qu'un jeune sans education etc. Il est assez difficile de me concentrer de temps en temps...Je pense que c'est a cause des eveques qui ne meritent pas leurs boulots, quand J'y pense Je deviens tres courroucé!

Au sujet de latin, comment est-ce que vous savez, ou devraient les mots etre dans une phrase? C'est a dire, J'essaie toujours de ne pas mettre les mots dans la phrase comme je les mets en anglais...mais y en a-t-il des reglements?