New Members Introduction Thread (New Users Post Here!)

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
aretay00
Textkit Neophyte

Re: New Members Introduction Thread (New Users Post Here!)

Post by aretay00 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:42 pm

I have just started learning Homeric Greek, out of a love of etymology and linguistics in general. Hopefully this site will be helpful for me. :D

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:07 pm

aretay00 wrote:I have just started learning Homeric Greek, out of a love of etymology and linguistics in general. Hopefully this site will be helpful for me. :D
What text are you using, out of curiosity?

teddy2005
Textkit Neophyte

Post by teddy2005 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:47 pm

Hey guys,

I actually just dropped out of the ridiculously intensive 10 week Latin summer class that uses Moreland and Fleischer, so now I'm just trying to learn Latin on my own at a more normal pace.

Looking forward to schlogging through it with some of you out there :D

-D

mrawesomeman
Textkit Neophyte

Post by mrawesomeman » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:59 pm

Hello everyone. My name is Matt. I'm attempting (this is the key word) to teach myself Koine Greek with Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek. Just wanted to introduce myself.

josmac1971
Textkit Neophyte

Post by josmac1971 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:47 pm

My name is Joel, I am starting to learn both Greek and Latin to prepare for going back to school in the near future. I am interested in a second career involving academics and/or church work. I intend to eventually learn Hebrew and German also. I am interested in ancient text, church history, and history of the Lutheran church. I hope to meet people here with similar interest. I have found the hardest part is making time to study with full time work.

RDH
Textkit Neophyte

Post by RDH » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:52 am

Hi,

I'm not entirely new. I signed up about a year and a half ago and asked, I think, a single question; so it seemed appropriate to post here. I took Latin in university, using Wheelock, and I barely made it. Barely making it was a first, though; I'd always failed language courses. (I was diagnosed with ADHD in third year, after failing French, for the second time, despite a serious effort.) In Latin I found out that I was at least capable of learning a second language, which endeared it to me, and I can't stand being able to read only bits of it. I read about Lingua Latina on this site, which I hoped wouldn't grind my mental gears quite as badly as Wheelock did. I'm just getting started at L.L. again after dropping it for a few months, and I'm hoping that this forum will help me stay motivated. (And I assume I'll have all sorts of questions as soon as I get a little further into the book.)

marykekr
Textkit Neophyte

Post by marykekr » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:14 pm

Hello! I am a new member. I teach latin and ancient greek in an athenian public high school. But teaching is not only a typical occupation. I try to present latin texts as a basis and the students give the historical background of the event we search, or try to give the frame of a historical period. I tried to give some informations through Galileo's work "Sidereus Nuncius", a book that I had translated from latin, and the students used some scenes to write a theatrical play and put it in a historical background.
Beyond that, latin language as we try to understand it and give the grammar or syntax, is more than a simple topic. So, if I may, here is what we usually say :) about the use of an infinitive [from the Caesar's phrase "interim Caesar Aeduos frumentum ... flagitare"] We all know that an infinitive could complete the meaning/or the syntax of a verb as a subject or an object. But we have the use of an infinitive in the place of Imperative. Sometimes the orators use the infinitive in the place of a simple tense just to show admiration or astonishment or outrage. And there is for latin language the use of infinitivus historicus, when someone wants to give a story, then he uses the infinitive in the place of past tense and the subject is in nominative. Thank you for your patience, Salvete! marykekr :)

Dominus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Dominus » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:22 pm

Ave,

Hi, I'm a 19 year old Australian University student. It is really sad to see these beautiful important classical tongues slowly die. As a lover of Roman history, and just history in general, I thought it was necessary of me to learn a classical language. That being Latin. My school didn't teach Latin, or much history in general, many in Australia don't. So I am doing my part to carry on the language. I've started from D'Ooge LFB and I can't wait to master the language. I learn't French at school, planning to become fluent, and it sort of helps in my Latin studies. My parents almost laughed when I told them I wanted to learn Latin, as its a "useless" language - in their closed minds. I'm currently up to finishing the 1st declination. Wish me luck, as in my mind, Latin is the most important language of all time, and should be mandatory amoung all western schools.

Veni Vidi Didici
Last edited by Dominus on Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
RES PVBLICA

Neil Davidson
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Neil Davidson » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:51 am

04 July 2011
I collect antique maps which strains my linguistic skills - notably the Latin ones - which are limited to 'O' Level Latin obtained many decades ago
Can anyone help me with the full version of what seems to be a Latin ?dedication and consecration? (of a map, a book etc) "L. M. D. C. Q."?
I am already grateful for your attention!
Neil Davidson

mpolo
Textkit Neophyte

Post by mpolo » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:09 pm

Salvete omnes!

Iam multos annos linguam latinam doceo secundum methodos Johannis Orbergensis. Sed necesse est mihi paulum adiutorii. Spero ut aliquis me iuvet. Postam electronicam mittam postea in foro latino ut plures eam videant.

Valete.