Participles & Latin Prose Comp in general

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
gsh
Textkit Neophyte

Participles & Latin Prose Comp in general

Post by gsh »

I'm now two months into my second year of Latin through a private adult learner school. I completed Wheelock's and felt pretty solid. Now, however, we're doing Latin Prose Composition using North & Hilliard and participles are wiping the floor with me.

How does everyone deal with participles, particulary going from English into Latin? Are there best practice strategies for handling that translation process?

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Hi Gsh. That's a good question. Sorry I don't have an answer for you, you're way more advanced in Latin studies than I am. :? But I wanted to welcome you to Textkit. I hope you managed to find the downloadabl Grammars, Readers, and E-Books on this site. Just click on the Learn Latin and Classical E-Books links above.

vinobrien
Textkit Member

Post by vinobrien »

I would suggest the wonderful "English Grammar for Students of Latin" which even equips you to tell a gerund from a gerundive without major surgery.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Participles ... arghh... death... arghh...
uh.. well.
Maybe it would help to go through all the different ways on how to translate participles from Latin into English (not just the literal translations, but ones like because, after, while, eventhough, ablativus absolutus and so on) , so that if you have a sentence with something like ..., after they learned some Latin. you know to translate it as a participle, and which one to use.
Otherwise I have no idea really, except to buy some other book (like one of the ones recommended by others here, who know much more about that stuff than I do :wink: ).