Cambridge Latin Project sucks.

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Cambridge Latin Project sucks.

Post by Episcopus »

http://www.cambridgescp.com

If they want people to learn latin, they should not charge insane amounts.
And why on earth would you need a teacher? And for Book I of that already stupid Cambridge latin course. I mean, for 300 pretty glossy pages they don't even mention the ablative!

Some organisation should give free, productive services if people are to learn latin. Yes I know that this is unreal, but what about all the money wasted on stupid reading programmes for crazy kids?

They suck money making scheming losers.

Not that I care, I have my D'Ooge; but their greed defeats the whole objective of the site for me. Unless they be assuming that every latin scholar has no pecuniary problems.
Last edited by Episcopus on Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Re: Cambridge Latin Project sucks.

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Episcopus wrote:http://www.cambridgescp.com

They suck money making scheming losers.
What's wrong with trying to make money? If you don't like their service - don't buy it.
Textkit Founder

klewlis
Global Moderator

Re: Cambridge Latin Project sucks.

Post by klewlis »

jeff wrote: What's wrong with trying to make money? If you don't like their service - don't buy it.
I agree. There are many people who would find value in this. As for the Cambridge course itself, I really like it for supplemental and recreational reading. It's a fantastic beginner reader.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

I am just saying that there are better ways. What about the children who don't have hundreds of pounds to learn half a course of something, and haven't the confidence to do it alone? And if cambridge want people to learn latin, they should not have bothered to waste time making a website on it if they charge like that.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I also dislike those simplified courses, but I think they are what is most in demand, so it's probably best to get used to them (though you don't have to use one!).
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

And what is really strange is the fact that the examinations at the end of the course include extracts from Virgil and co. They are very hard.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Episcopus wrote:I am just saying that there are better ways. What about the children who don't have hundreds of pounds to learn half a course of something, and haven't the confidence to do it alone? And if cambridge want people to learn latin, they should not have bothered to waste time making a website on it if they charge like that.
It's called running a business ;)

What if I want to attend Oxford or Princeton and I don't have the money? I'm out of luck... this is just the way it is. Not everyone can give stuff away for free or cheap.