New Members Introduction Thread (New Users Post Here!)

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
calvinist
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: New Members Introduction Thread (New Users Post Here!)

Post by calvinist » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:06 am

Hi Joe! I'm sorry that I don't have any ideas for you, but I suggest that you repost this in the "Learning Greek" section because this section doesn't get as much exposure. I think you'll get some great ideas from the members around here. :D

hjf
Textkit Neophyte

Post by hjf » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:06 pm

Hello! My name is Heather. I am a fiction writer and occasionally use ancient Greek (and sometimes Latin) words in my short stories and novels. I have dictionaries and grammars but sometimes could use a bit more help. I have a current question which I will post in the appropriate place. Thank you!

leebb112286
Textkit Neophyte

Post by leebb112286 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:21 pm

Hi. I'm interested in working through Wheelock on my own. I plan to start working with one of the beginners' groups at http://www.quasillum.com/study/index.php. I hope to find some useful resources here. --Lee

ferrous
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ferrous » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:21 pm

Salvete. I'm Ferrous, and I'm attempting again to teach myself Latin after moving away from it for a few months since recent events in my life have proven that I shouldn't just wait until I can take a Latin course. I'm going to continue using Wheelock's and maybe Lingua Latina, though LL bored me the last time I tried studying with it.

I am almost completely certain that I am not a spambot, and I look forward to participating in this community. ;)

lizhuberx3
Textkit Neophyte

Post by lizhuberx3 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:25 am

Hello everybody I am new to this forum myself Liz Huber from Arizona. I have completed my graduation in science but Since last 2 years I had developed an interest in learning new language. Currently I know 5 languages and now I am looking forward to learn ancient Greek. I hope this forum will help me to learn Greek.

liumx
Textkit Neophyte

Post by liumx » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:27 am

Oh dear, oh dear,

Convinced that my account no longer active when I tried to log-in, I've created another new account! I will leave the new account to the administrator's jurisdiction. :oops:

Anyway, my Last visited:
Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:19 pm

So, I guess to re-introduce is nothing new. :D

I ceased to receive pharr-d group monthly notification last year but did not check what happened then. Peuh, ain't easy to follow closely since my pharr-d participation was embarrassingly few.

A Malaysian,
liumx
phpbb

brighthouse
Textkit Neophyte

Re: New Members Introduction Thread - Amber of Brighthouse

Post by brighthouse » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:16 pm

Hello. I'm Amber, homeschooling Mom to 5 boys ages 13-3. My oldest son has chosen Latin as his language of choice to study for HS - he loves all things Roman. I have a 3 year plan for him laid out using Wheelocks Latin (text, workbook, vocab cards, Grote's book, and 38 stories). He's selftutoring - reading Grote first and answering questions there, reading Wheelock next, working on the vocab, doing the workbook pages for the chapter before attempting the Sententiae. The plan is to have him do a story from 38 every 2-3 Wheelock chapters.) I have no Latin background other than common Latin phrases. We've run into a snag rather quickly it seems and I'm sure there are more to come. I have access to the digital answer keys from Wheelock for both the text and workbook but would like a place/person to whom we can appeal to when he hits a snag and I can't figure out how to help him.

surferbassist
Textkit Neophyte

Post by surferbassist » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:18 pm

Hello all. I am Latin and Greek teacher. I have a BA in classical languages and often read through the forum, but it was about time I posted. At my school we use both Ecce and Wheelock for the Latin classes and Athenaze (though we avoid it) and Pharr for the Greek.

Glaukos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Glaukos » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:16 am

Greetings!

From some time ago I've become interested in learning Greek and all about Ancient Greek Civilization, and surfing the web I found this site. My mother tongue is spanish (from Argentina) but I live in Israel (but my knowledge of hebrew is, at best, scanty). Because of that sometimes it becomes a little bit difficult for me to find adequate learning material (in book form), so I have to rely heavily on digital ( .pdf and the like).
I can read english (evidently :D) and french, and have a basic knowledge of Latin.

As I said before my goals are learning greek (attic and epic mainly). I hope you guys can help me in this forum with possible doubts about greek grammar and syntax I may have.
Thank you.

technopoetic
Textkit Neophyte

Post by technopoetic » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:44 pm

Hello everyone, I had four years of Latin in high school and two years of Greek in college. However, that was about a hundred years ago. Now I'm re-learning.