GreekGeek.org

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
nestor
Textkit Neophyte

GreekGeek.org

Post by nestor »

I have seen several references to GreekGeek, but it seems that the site has become a commercial enterprise. Is there a new site? Or am I just totally ignorant about how to use the current GreekGeek?

helios
Textkit Neophyte
Location: I was born by the river in a little tent / and just like the river, I've been running ever since

Re: GreekGeek.org

Post by helios »

I believe a user here, Paul, is the owner/creator of the site. Perhaps you could PM him and ask him what's up. (I hope I have the username right.)
Keep it rill.

SeanL
Textkit Neophyte

Post by SeanL »

I can tell you what happened. This sort of thing is fairly common on the web with sites owned by individuals. The previous holder of the domain name let it lapse, whether intentionally or not. Then some company or person snapped up "GreekGeek.org" cheap, and threw up a quicky site with lots of links for you to click on in the hopes of making a little money off you before you figure out that the site is now worthless. My advice, when you run across something like this, is to click on nothing; it only encourages them.

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

In response to SeanL's post: The current owner is mainly hoping that somebody (possibly the original owner) will buy the domain name from him. Such people are called "squatters"; they're like the ticket scalpers of the Internet.
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

nestor
Textkit Neophyte

Post by nestor »

Thank you for your answer.

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

it's sad when this sort of thing happens.

Was this Paul's site with the tag line about Mycanean TV? I loved that!!!

Most often expired domains are purchased automatically by software and the new owner will buy the domain not just trying to sell it back but they'll buy it for its backlinks and its traffic. Best thing to do is to not visit and to remove any links if you've linked to it.
Textkit Founder

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

But the domain is not expired at all! Just try whois for greekgeek.org (Expiration Date: 03-Jan-2012). It is still in Pauls name. I remember the same thing happened a few years back, 2005, so long time ago. But it was fixed then, so it should be possible to fix it now. Ofcourse the question is: did Paul himself notice this is going on?
Regards,
Adelheid
http://www.perispomenon.nl

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

and when was the last time anyone heard from Paul? It's been well over a year since he's posted. For the time being, anyone needing to access to stuff from greekgeek can at least get it from the google cache:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us

Not sure how long that stuff sticks around. Paul, I hope you are ok.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

Yup, I was thinking that Paul perhaps is not spending much time on Greekgeek.org anymore.
Regards,
Adelheid
http://www.perispomenon.nl