Homeric Greek: A Book for Beginners (Pharr)

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
NstayWL
Textkit Neophyte

Homeric Greek: A Book for Beginners (Pharr)

Post by NstayWL »

Is anyone familiar with this book willing to offer me an opinion of how good of a teaching tool it is? I'm trying to teach myself Greek (I have a strong Latin background) and want to make sure there isn't a better book. Any recommendations or comments would be helpful.<br /><br /><br />Thanks,<br />Noah

annis
Textkit Zealot

Re:Homeric Greek: A Book for Beginners (Pharr)

Post by annis »

Someone with a strong Latin background isn't going to find this book too alarming. You're already used to paradigm charts.<br /><br />The book is very old-fashioned, and could use a serious update on pedagogical technique, but it get's you reading real Greek by lesson 13, so I still say it's an excellent book despite it's age.<br />
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Hi Noah,<br /><br />I am just now finishing it and I strongly recommend it.<br /><br />I should point out that I came to the book not entirely Greek-less. But my background was in Attic Greek and it was rusty.<br /><br />As William rightly states, someone with a strong Latin background won't be daunted by Pharr's book.<br /><br />Yes, it is heavy with paradigms, but by lesson 13 you are reading Homer. 64 lessons and 611 lines later, you've translated Book I of the Iliad. Most satisfying.<br /><br />A typical lesson consists of a main topic, e.g., "Demonstrative Pronouns", followed by vocabulary, practice sentences, and several lines (from 5 to 20) of Book I. The practice sentences, drawn from the lesson's Iliad lines, are especially helpful at the beginning. By lesson 51 these practice sentences are dropped and the number of Iliad lines increases.<br /><br />You asked if it was an effective teach-yourself tool. I really think it is.<br /><br />Hope this helps.<br /><br />Cordially,<br /><br />Paul

NstayWL
Textkit Neophyte

Post by NstayWL »

Thanks for the replies. My latin "foundation" is the "Our Latin Heritage" series by Lillian, followed by Pharr's first 6 books of the Aeneid, and finally Merrill's Catullus (with a lot of independent reading done along the way). So I'm familiar with the methodology of Pharr. I think I'll buy this one. <br /><br /><br />Thanks,<br />Noah