Gnaeus Pompēius Magnus

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
phil
Textkit Fan

Gnaeus Pompēius Magnus

Post by phil »

There are a few things in the story of Pompeius I need help with.

Pompeius has found out about a plot against his father, which was instigated by Terentius, his tent-mate.

Quae rēs cum iuvenī Pompēiō cēnantī nūntiāta esset, nihil perīculō mōtus solitō hilarius bibit et cum Terentiō eādem, quā anteā, cōmitāte ūsus est. Deinde cubiculum ingressus clam subdūxit sē tentōriō et firmam patrī circumdedit custōdiam.

When he was told about it while having his dinner, he wasn't afraid, but drank cheerfully as usual, and behaved affably as before towards Terentius. Then having entered the room, he stole secretly from the tent and arranged a guard for his father.

I assume these tents were more like pavilions, with many rooms, such as Sheik Ilderim's in Ben-Hur, not boy-scout pup-tents, but I don't see how can you enter a room and leave a tent. Was his full name Gnaeus Houdinius Pompeius?

Later, pirates are threatening Italy, and Pompeius is sent with special powers to crush them.

Cum pīrātea illā tempestāte maria omnia īnfestārent et quāsdam etiam Italiae urbēs dīripuissent, ad eōs opprimendōs cum inperiō extraōrdināriō missus est Pompēius. Nimiae virī potentiae obsistēbant quīdam ex optimātibus et imprīmīs Quīntus Catulus.

Since pirates at that time were infesting all the seas, and even plundering some Italian cities, Pompeius was sent with special powers to crush them. Some of the nobles, and especially Quintus Catulus objected to the excessive power of one man.

Have I got this right? virī is genitive and refers to Pompeius, and not plural, agreeing with quīdam - i.e. it's not certain men objected to the excessive power...

I look forward to your comments, Cheers Phil.

Alatius
Textkit Fan

Re: Gnaeus Pompēius Magnus

Post by Alatius »

phil wrote:I assume these tents were more like pavilions, with many rooms, such as Sheik Ilderim's in Ben-Hur, not boy-scout pup-tents, but I don't see how can you enter a room and leave a tent. Was his full name Gnaeus Houdinius Pompeius?
I assume at least that he could have squeezed himself between the ground and the rim of the tent. Or in the worst case he could cut an opening, I suppose. It's hardly a magician's feat to escape from a tent, is it?

(By the way, "cubiculum" is here best translated as 'bedroom', since that is the primary meaning — the place where one "cubat".)
Have I got this right? virī is genitive and refers to Pompeius, and not plural, agreeing with quīdam - i.e. it's not certain men objected to the excessive power...
I agree with you; that other interpretation would seem highly unlikely considering the word order.