sēdulitātem ... dīgnam dūxerit

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
phil
Textkit Fan

sēdulitātem ... dīgnam dūxerit

Post by phil »

In a summary of the life of Sulla:

[ille] litterīs Graecīs atque Latīnīs ērudītus et virōrum litterātōrum adeō amāns, ut sēdulitātem etiam malī cūiusdam poētae aliquō praemiō dīgnam dūxerit ; nam cum ille eppigramma in eum fēcisset eīque subiēcisset, Sulla statim praemium eī darī iussit, sed eā lēge, nē quid posteā scrīberet.

He was learned in Greek and Latin literature, and so loving of literary men, that he ?led? the worthy earnestness even of a certain bad poet, by some reward ; for when he (the poet) had composed an inscription for him, and submitted it to him, Sulla immediately ordered a reward to be given, but on the condition that he never write anything again.

I'm assuming that 'sedulitatem ... dignam' agree, and that they are wrapping up an idea related to 'worthy earnestness', but I can't make out exactly what. And my dictionary has about 25 meanings for 'ducere', and I can't get one to make sense here.

Once more I throw myself on the patience of the Textkit community for help! Cheers, Phil.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: sēdulitātem ... dīgnam dūxerit

Post by adrianus »

that he considered a dedication of even some bad poet as worthy of some reward
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: sēdulitātem ... dīgnam dūxerit

Post by thesaurus »

phil wrote:In a summary of the life of Sulla:

[ille] litterīs Graecīs atque Latīnīs ērudītus et virōrum litterātōrum adeō amāns, ut sēdulitātem etiam malī cūiusdam poētae aliquō praemiō dīgnam dūxerit ; nam cum ille eppigramma in eum fēcisset eīque subiēcisset, Sulla statim praemium eī darī iussit, sed eā lēge, nē quid posteā scrīberet.

He was learned in Greek and Latin literature, and so loving of literary men, that he ?led? the worthy earnestness even of a certain bad poet, by some reward ; for when he (the poet) had composed an inscription for him, and submitted it to him, Sulla immediately ordered a reward to be given, but on the condition that he never write anything again.

I'm assuming that 'sedulitatem ... dignam' agree, and that they are wrapping up an idea related to 'worthy earnestness', but I can't make out exactly what. And my dictionary has about 25 meanings for 'ducere', and I can't get one to make sense here.
You're very close. "duco" is often used to mean "I think/regard/consider," so "he was so loving of [devoted to] literary men that he thought/considered the attentiveness of even a certain bad poet [to be] worthy of some prize."

So "sedulitatem," which means something like very close attention, is the subject of the reported speech. The adjective "dignus,a,um" is used with a dative in Latin.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute