ut vidēret cōnsul Optīmīus

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
phil
Textkit Fan

ut vidēret cōnsul Optīmīus

Post by phil »

Gaius Gracchus, the grandson of Scipio Africanus, having become tribune, has been up to no good.

Dēcrētum ā senātū est, ut vidēret cōnsul Optīmīus, nē quid dētrīmentī rēs pūblica caperet; quod nisi in maximō discrīmine dēcernī nōn solēbat. ( A few sentences later the consul attacks Gaius, who commits suicide. )

It was decreed by the senate that the consul Optimius might be seen, lest the State should suffer any loss, which was not usually decreed except in extreme peril.

Does this mean seen, as in appealed to? or consulted? vidēret seems to me an unusual word to use. Have I missed a meaning? And am I right in inferring from this sentence that the consuls didn't usually interfere in the tribunes running of the State?

Cheers, Phil

Gregarius
Textkit Neophyte

Re: ut vidēret cōnsul Optīmīus

Post by Gregarius »

phil wrote:ut vidēret cōnsul Optīmīus
Videret, though subjunctive, is active.

As an aside, the Bolchazy book "Completely Parsed Cicero" is an amazing resource. Maybe a bit too amazing. You can read a limited number of pages for free in google books.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Or get it/read it in its entirety from here:
Hinc istum librum legere vel arcessere potes in totum:
http://www.archive.org/details/firstora ... 00cicegoog
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Imber Ranae
Textkit Member

Post by Imber Ranae »

vidēre + ut/ne = "to see to it that/lest..."
Ex mala malo
bono malo uesci
quam ex bona malo
malo malo malo.