New Members Introduction Thread (New Users Post Here!)

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
vernus
Textkit Neophyte

Re: New Members Introduction Thread (New Users Post Here!)

Post by vernus » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:19 am

Hi everybody!!

I'm 3rd year medical student from thailand, I decide to learn latin to support my understanding of word in medical study, so I google and found this site.
thx for your kind of sharing a knowledge which it's hard to found in thailand.( I mean Latin knowledge)

LaurentiusH
Textkit Neophyte

Post by LaurentiusH » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:16 am

Salvete,

I'm Laurentius, learned latin for 4 years (or was it three?) in high school, a long time ago. Have always been interested in latin literature ever since but haven't practiced my latin for almost 30 years. I stumbled across Oerberg's Lingua Latina 1 year ago and liked it. I started studying latin again and I'm having fun.

Bedell
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bedell » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:03 am

Welcome, Vernus!

Have you seen this yet? http://latinformedicalstudents.mypodcast.com/index.html

It might be of interest to you.

Seán
nothing should arouse more suspicion than a cross-party consensus - Antidemocritus fl. 2010

dking
Textkit Neophyte

Post by dking » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:38 pm

Hi, I am trying to learn Ancient Greek on my own. My main motivation is to learn to read the New Testament, and I've gone through Mounce's BBG. I still can't read my GNT, and I'm starting to work through Pharr's Homeric Greek in order to start over without doing the exact same thing twice. I know it's a jump from Koine to Homer, but it's not as big of a jump as I've already made, and I think the teaching method will work better for me.

I'm in my 50's and before now, I always thought learning a new language was beyond me. Even though I'm frustrated, I am enjoying working on Greek.

nikadoll
Textkit Neophyte

Post by nikadoll » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:07 pm

Hi!

I'm a college senior studying psychology and philosophy, and I'm trying to learn Ancient Greek and Latin on my own. I've dabbled in teaching myself basics in a few different languages (and have had four years of Spanish in college), and I enjoy the challenge of it. Latin has always been of interest to me, and Ancient Greek has come to be more so since I found my fascination with ancient philosophy a year or so ago. I'm hoping this site will be helpful for me.

cambusken
Textkit Neophyte

Post by cambusken » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:36 am

Hallo - just scrambled my way through a Teach Yourself Greek book, so I now know what they mean when they say the Greeks had a word for it. They did! Then they declined it! (and added voices and aspects when they could not do that). Anyway, I now know a little about Greek and would like to progress to knowing, at least a little, Greek (the language I mean, you ever vigilant spammers). The resources you put online look just dandy, so I am going to have a go. Perhaps somewhere along the line I shall be able to type a hard breathing - I have followed all the instructions, but whether it is because I'm a Brit, using the royal keyboard, or just not pressing hard enough, the hard breathings never seem to come. Hope to get some help on that score. Seriously, I am much impressed by the flexibilities of the Greek language - all those participles, my God, declined and voiced for style and precision. Then those sly little particles!. I want some of that! Thanks again for the effort you have put in to providing these excellent resources.

mrwilburforce
Textkit Neophyte

Post by mrwilburforce » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:49 pm

Hi All,
I am 65 and just recently, in the last two years, have discovered how strategic and truly important the classical languages are. The way I made this discovery was my interest in the KJV Bible. I don't consider myself a religious nut, but I did want to take a look at the original languages they were translating into english and other languages. I discovered there are many ways to arrive at a meaning, when translating, and often it boils down to one's subjective best guess. This was not good enough for me, as I didn't want someone else doing my guessing for me.

In addition, the contribution of classical learning to our western form of civilization is inestimable; and one cannot truly understand the moral underpinnings, and rational development of science and philosophy, in europe and the english speaking countries, and actually of the entire world, without an appreciation of Greek and Latin.

I am truly looking forward to participating in this Forum; but just hoping this participation doesn't expose to much my beginner's status in those languages, though it probably will.

lmaustin
Textkit Neophyte

Post by lmaustin » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:50 pm

I have been working my way alone through Wheelock's Latin for a couple of years. I'm on Chapter 35 and, needless to say, I need some company and advice, especially on translating the dumbed-down passages from Martial, etc. (I've never seen an answer key to Wheelock although supposedly one exists). I plan to go through recent posts first and post my own questions here. I am also interested in other texts to supplement Wheelock.

furrykef
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by furrykef » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:24 pm

lmaustin wrote:especially on translating the dumbed-down passages from Martial, etc.
The Martial passages are not dumbed down. As far as I know, every single quotation from Martial in Wheelock is verbatim. (Remember, when they put the asterisk before the author's name, that means the quote was unaltered.)

I'm surprised you're having trouble with him, though. I find Martial much easier to read than, say, Catullus, or really any other Latin poet I know of.

And yes, there is an answer key, though unfortunately we can't post a link to it on this forum because Harper Collins and LaFleur had to be spoilsports, since it's also used as a high school/college text. Frankly I think that situation (where people freely trade the answer key) is entirely their fault because you don't expect a book you buy at Barnes & Noble to need an answer key in the first place, but oh well.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.

Delirant isti romani!

PJW
Textkit Neophyte

Post by PJW » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:08 pm

Hello All.

I used to study Latin at school (albeit a few years ago now) and have a few queries for the experts!

P.S. My name is Phil.