multō post

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
phil
Textkit Fan

multō post

Post by phil »

Hi all.

In the story of the beginnings of Rome, Romulus strikes a treaty with Tatius, king of the Sabini:

Vērum haud ita multō post occīsō Tatiō ad Rōmulum potentātus omnis recidit.

I can see that Tatius was killed, and Romulus assumed total control, but I can't decide whether haud ita multō post means that the treaty didn't last much longer, because Tatio was killed, or that the treaty did in fact last for much longer before Tatius was killed.

Can anyone tell me which it is, and, more imporrtantly, how I could recognise it?

Cheers
Phil

Episteme
Textkit Neophyte

Re: multō post

Post by Episteme »

Hi, Phil!

I take this sentence to mean that not long after the treaty was signed Tatius died, and then complete control went to Romulus. I don't have the context, obviously, but I don't think this sentence says anything about the dissolution of the treaty, just that shortly after its signing Tatius' death caused Romulus to have complete control. It is possible that those were the very terms of the treaty (i.e., that one would have full control after the death of the other). I think haud is modifying multo, so I don't think it's indicating that the treaty lasted a long time before the death of Tatius.

Anyway, that's my $0.02. Hope it helps!

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Ità ut dicit Episteme, ut reor // Yes, as Episteme says, I reckon: "However, not so long after, Tatius having been killed, all the power goes back to Romulus".
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

phil
Textkit Fan

Post by phil »

OK, thanks
Phil