New Members Introduction Thread (New Users Post Here!)

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
dubmdell
Textkit Neophyte

Re: New Members Introduction Thread (New Users Post Here!)

Post by dubmdell » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:14 am

Hey everyone, junior in college, hoping to be a classicist one day. The program is small at my university, so I'm studying hard on my own. This site is incredibly encouraging. Thanks.

Quin Firefrorefiddle
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Quin Firefrorefiddle » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:55 am

Hi! I spent two years on Biblical Greek (Mounce, then Wallace) though I've lost a lot of it since, and am now trying to teach myself Latin with Lingua Latina. I'm finding I really like puzzling things out that way- I also have Wheelock, but I think I'll go through that after I'm done with LL. I'm studying to be a Lutheran pastor, and I don't have a natural gift for languages other than English when it comes to composition, but my comprehension can get okay with enough effort. I've poked around this site before, but have never used the forums.
Pax vobiscum!

dsch
Textkit Neophyte

Post by dsch » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:14 pm

Evidently I jumped straight into the Latin forum, so hi :). I am a graduate student in classics, with interests in epic narrative and literary theory.

Nickinnl
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Nickinnl » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:30 pm

Hello. I'm a fifty-something year old English literature graduate who never got round to learning Latin at school and have always had a bit of a hankering to try it. Ideally, I'd like to get to the level of doing some reading of some classical texts, but it remains to be seen if I can invest enough time and effort to achieve that.

Firetell13
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Firetell13 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:33 am

Hi! Im a person who would like to try to learn Latin and Greek as I would like to travel to Greece one day and I would like to learn Latin because I like learning about history and I think learning both Latin and Greek would help me accomplish my dream inbecoming a historian(Plus, I think it will be fun!) :D

Nickinnl
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Nickinnl » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:03 am

I'm Nick. I'm an Englishman living in the Netherlands. I'm in my fifties and a literature graduate who never got around to learning any classical languages. I've always been conscious of so many authors having classical educations and making references to classical literature, that I'd like to do something to put that right, and ideally I aspire to get to the point of reading some Latin literature..

corey
Textkit Neophyte

Post by corey » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:44 pm

Hello, I am a 46 yr old who has come to realize that I need to know and understand the ancient languages to have a better und3erstanding of the Bible

Mick
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Mick » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:04 pm

Hello there, my name is Mick, I live in Ireland. I studied Latin in school many moons ago and went back to it a few years ago with "Latin For Today" book 1 and now I'm on book 2. They're ancient books but then it is an ancient language! Anybody else out there still using then?

French
Textkit Neophyte

Post by French » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:54 pm

Hi,

My name is French (really...that's what it says on the birth certificate). I speak a couple of modern languages, and was always interested in trying the classical ones (Latin and Greek). I tried both on my own...but between work and family...I always seem to run out of time to keep it up.
I took an intensive classical Greek class at UCLA and loved it...but again couldn't keep up on my own after the class was over...and each time I start...or restart... I feel I have to start "from the beginning" or risk getting hopelessly confused.
Now it looks as if I am finally headed into retirement...I teach school and cutbacks in California's school systems appears to be about ready to eliminate my department...and even if something is still kept, employment will be only a small part-time affair...so for sure I now have time to pursue my study of classical languages.
I'm starting with Greek...because those were the first books my fingers found the other day.
I enjoy trying again...but it does sometimes get a little lonely or frustrating...and I thought at least reading what other people say who are working on similar interests would be a good inspiration for me.

I think that probably sums it up.
French

caervlevs
Textkit Neophyte

Post by caervlevs » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:55 pm

Yes, it's been quite a while since I've last logged on. I first joined textkit.com in 2003 I think. Anyhow, I am returning to the forum for questions about Latin syntax etc. Cheers everyone!