Pharr Lesson XVIII §103 E-G

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
Amiros
Textkit Neophyte

Pharr Lesson XVIII §103 E-G

Post by Amiros »

I'll begin with the first three and continue with the rest later:

1. We have freed the beloved daughter of the priest, because we reverence the free-shooter Apollo.
ἀπολελύκαμεν φίλην θύγατρ' ἱερῆος, οὕνεκ' ἁζόμεσθ' ἑκηβόλον Ἀχιλῆα.

About ἅζομαι: this verb is defective. The vocabulary shows only one form. What does it mean regarding tenses? Does it have all forms in all of them? §898 doesn't seem to be specific about it.

2. All the Achaeans have gone from the assembly to the hollow ships.
πάντες Ἀχαιοὶ βεβάασιν ἐξ ἀγορῆς εἰς κοίλας νῆας.

βεβάασι is followed by a vowel. Should it drop its final ι or add ν-movable?

3. The priest burned many thigh-pieces of bulls and of goats to the gods who had Olympian homes.
ἱερεύς ἔκηε πόλλα μηρία ταύρων καὶ αἰγὼν θεοίσιν οἳ ἔσχον Ὀλύμπια δῶματα.
Latin: Trying to ge back to it. Again. (Again.)
Ancient Greek: Hoping to have time to get back to that in the future...
Other: Hebrew [native]; English [advanced]; German [advanced]; Palestinian Arabic [beginner]

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Pharr Lesson XVIII §103 E-G

Post by modus.irrealis »

Amiros wrote:I'll begin with the first three and continue with the rest later:

1. We have freed the beloved daughter of the priest, because we reverence the free-shooter Apollo.
ἀπολελύκαμεν φίλην θύγατρ' ἱερῆος, οὕνεχ' ἁζόμεσθ' ἑκηβόλον Ἀχιλῆα.

About ἅζομαι: this verb is defective. The vocabulary shows only one form. What does it mean regarding tenses? Does it have all forms in all of them? §898 doesn't seem to be specific about it.
It means that (at most) it only has forms based off the present stem. (You also changed Apollo to Achilles.)
2. All the Achaeans have gone from the assembly to the hollow ships.
πάντες Ἀχαιοὶ βεβάασιν ἐξ ἀγορῆς εἰς κοίλας νῆας.

βεβάασι is followed by a vowel. Should it drop its final ι or add ν-movable?
My understanding is that in prose you would add the ν, but it's more flexible in poetry, and I can find examples of both in Homer.
3. The priest burned many thigh-pieces of bulls and of goats to the gods who had Olympian homes.
ἱερες ἔκηε πολλ μηρία ταύρων καὶ αἰγν θεοσιν οἳ εἶχον Ὀλύμπια δώματα.
The aorist ἔσχον would mean something closer to "got".

Amiros
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Amiros »

Thanks! I can't believe I did all these silly accent mistakes in n.3, I began to think that my computer somehow messed it all up...
modus.irrealis wrote:
Amiros wrote:3. The priest burned many thigh-pieces of bulls and of goats to the gods who had Olympian homes.
ἱερες ἔκηε πολλ μηρία ταύρων καὶ αἰγν θεοσιν οἳ εἶχον Ὀλύμπια δώματα.
The aorist ἔσχον would mean something closer to "got".
The vocabulary shows ἔσχον as the aorist, is it second aorist? I only now saw that εἶχον appears separately right above it, I wander why it's like that.

I hope I'll be able to do the rest and post them tomorrow...
Other: Hebrew [native]; English [advanced]; German [advanced]; Palestinian Arabic [beginner]

Amiros
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Amiros »

And here are the rest of this paragraph:

4. That old man has died in our home.
κεῖνος γέρων τέθνηκ' ἐν ἡμετέρῳ δώματι.

5. The swift-footed Achilles has gone.
πόδας ὠκὺς Ἀχιλλεὺς βέβηκε.

6. The old man has not persuaded the mind of the son of Atreus.
γέρων οὐ πέποιθε φρέν' Ἀτρεΐδαο.

7. Apollo has loved the beautiful goddess of the sea.
Ἀπόλλων πεφίληκε καλὴν θεὰν θαλάσσης.

8. Shall we flee with swift feet into the city of Priam?
φευξόμεσθ' ὠκοῖσι πόδεσσιν εἰν πόλιν Πριάμου;

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Post by modus.irrealis »

Amiros wrote:Thanks! I can't believe I did all these silly accent mistakes in n.3, I began to think that my computer somehow messed it all up...
Yeah it did seem odd compared to your first two :D.
modus.irrealis wrote:The vocabulary shows ἔσχον as the aorist, is it second aorist? I only now saw that εἶχον appears separately right above it, I wander why it's like that.
ἔσχον is the aorist and εἶχον is the imperfect, shown probably because of the irregular augment (which comes from the fact that the root originally started with a σ-).
Amiros wrote: 6. The old man has not persuaded the mind of the son of Atreus.
γέρων οὐ πέποιθε φρέν' Ἀτρεΐδαο.
πέποιθα can only be used intransitively as "trust", etc. If you want to use the perfect of this verb here, it has to be πέπεικα. Also I think it's more usual to use φρήν in the plural for this meaning.
8. Shall we flee with swift feet into the city of Priam?
φευξόμεσθ' ὠκέσι πόδεσσιν εἰν πόλιν Πριάμου;
Here you need ἐς/εἰς for "into" (but that might just be a typo). For "shall we flee", it's unclear to me what the English means. If it's simply a a question about the future, then your translation is correct, but it's a question about what should be done, then you should use the subjunctive here. (Also

The others seemed fine to me but I have to admit that I don't have any experience writing in Homeric Greek so I may be missing things especially with what sounds more natural -- I'm much more comfortable with Attic Greek and even there I can't claim too much.