study a NT book

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
GTM
Textkit Member

Re: study a NT book

Post by GTM » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:12 am

sid4greek
I am still reading chapter 2 and when I read verse 22 I just can't understand the contextual meaning of the question:

tis estin ho feistes?

this question appears all of a sudden in the text and so breaks, so to speak, the flow of the previous discourse. I don't know if you too get this feeling?

as for the contextual meaning of the question:

to me it seems that someone is accusing the writer and company of liars...quite possibly the people who decided to leave their "community"...possibly mere speculation from my part
That is an interesting thought. I doesn't appear to be a parenthesis like 1 John 1:2. I will take a closer look at this text and see if any thing shakes lose in this old brain of mine.

GTM

GTM
Textkit Member

Post by GTM » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:29 pm

sid4greek

As I ponder your observation a thought popped into my head.

1 John has none of the formal features of a letter. Many of the commentators that I have read on that particular issue suggests that 1 John was a written sermon. As I think about this abrupt disruption or what ever we choose to call it, is it possible that John has recorded on paper, a discussion that he was having with others?

Just a thought.

GTM

GTM
Textkit Member

Post by GTM » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:21 am

Attention Greek Scholars

in 1 John 1:5 why did the writer find it necessary to say, "God is light and in Him is no darkness at all"?

GTM

sid4greek
Textkit Neophyte

Post by sid4greek » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:17 pm

perhaps as a way to keep false doctrines away from the "ekklesia"...darkness referring to false doctrine
phpbb

GTM
Textkit Member

Post by GTM » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:37 pm

sid4greek
perhaps as a way to keep false doctrines away from the "ekklesia"...darkness referring to false doctrine
Interesting thought. I always thought that it might speak more of Gods Holiness than to a revelatory idea.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

GTM

sid4greek
Textkit Neophyte

Post by sid4greek » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:40 am

GTM wrote:Attention Greek Scholars

in 1 John 1:5 why did the writer find it necessary to say, "God is light and in Him is no darkness at all"?

GTM

ouvdemi,a

some comments about "at all":

1) "at all" is an emphasiser and so
2) "at all" emphasises the fact that "there is no darkness in God" since "darkness" and "at all" in the Greek text agree in both gender and number,
3) interestingly, the Italian translation of the text (The Gideons International) does not add this emphasiser; perhaps, the translator did not think it necessary to "add" it in the text.
4) emphasisers are used in a text to "highlight" an idea expressed in the text, showing us that the empahasised idea had a relevant place in the author's context. In our case "skotia" is the issue.

We should now try to define WHAT SKOTIA REFERS TO IN THE TEXT....
phpbb

GTM
Textkit Member

Post by GTM » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:11 pm

sid4greek

"at all" is an emphasiser and so
Thank you for pointing that out. That is a big help.

GTM

sid4greek
Textkit Neophyte

Post by sid4greek » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:39 pm

GTM wrote:sid4greek
Interesting thought. I always thought that it might speak more of Gods Holiness than to a revelatory idea.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

GTM
what do you mean by "revelatory" idea?
phpbb

GTM
Textkit Member

Post by GTM » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:42 am

sid4greek

you asked:
Idea #1 seen in Matthew
Matthew 16:17

And Jesus said to him, "Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.

In simple terms a light comes on and one becomes aware of something that they weren't aware of before.

In Luke 2:31-32 we read
"which you have prepared in the sight of all people, a light for revelation to the Gentiles
and for glory to your people Israel."

Idea #2 seen in 1 John

In the context of 1 John we read "if we walk in the Light as He is in the Light". This seems to suggest more of a Old Testament idea and suggests living with moral inclination.

Just a thought.

GTM

sid4greek
Textkit Neophyte

Post by sid4greek » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:01 pm

GTM wrote:sid4greek

you asked:
Idea #1 seen in Matthew
Matthew 16:17

And Jesus said to him, "Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.

In simple terms a light comes on and one becomes aware of something that they weren't aware of before.

In Luke 2:31-32 we read
"which you have prepared in the sight of all people, a light for revelation to the Gentiles
and for glory to your people Israel."

Idea #2 seen in 1 John

In the context of 1 John we read "if we walk in the Light as He is in the Light". This seems to suggest more of a Old Testament idea and suggests living with moral inclination.

Just a thought.

GTM

I SEE YOUR POINT NOW...could we be dealing with both revelatory and morality??
phpbb