some input please.

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
dlb
Textkit Member

Re: some input please.

Post by dlb » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:42 pm

adrianus wrote:An ill-prepared, disobedient mind rarely manages to successfully recall words not used frequently.
I do not believe, my dear Adrianus, it is a question of frequency but one of age!
Deus me ducet, non ratio.
Observito Quam Educatio Melius Est.

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:15 pm

dlb wrote:
adrianus wrote:An ill-prepared, disobedient mind rarely manages to successfully recall words not used frequently.
I do not believe, my dear Adrianus, it is a question of frequency but one of age!
Repetitio est mater memoriae.

I agree that preparation helps the memory, but repetition is the preparation. I'm not sure what disobedience (to what?) has to do with anything, except Adrianus being a prig.

Of course, age doesn't help. Nor does having a mind that is not naturally geared towards the memorization of massive amounts of data. Some people just have a gift. Some of us, unfortunately, do not.
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:35 pm

dlb wrote:I do not believe, my dear Adrianus, it is a question of frequency but one of age!
An ill-prepared, disobedient mind, very old and enfeebled by the never-ending nature of troubled experience, most rarely manages to successfully recall words not frequently used but previously browsed when looking up answers to questions.

Mente parùm paratâ parenteque pervetere perimbecillâque perturbatâ per peritiae perpetuitatem, parsa verba priùs prae percontationem perlustrata pari parcissimè prosperè peractum est.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:56 pm

Lex wrote:I'm not sure what disobedience (to what?) has to do with anything, except Adrianus being a prig.
People will always surprise you. From not knowing, insults! Yes, "prig" does begin with the letter "p".
Semper sunt qui nos opprimant. Ex ignorantiâ injurias! Ita, "prig" anglicè per "p" litteram incipitur.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Damoetas
Textkit Fan

Post by Damoetas » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:01 pm

adrianus wrote:People will always surprise you. From not knowing, insults! Yes, "prig" does begin with the letter "p".
Semper sunt qui nos opprimant. Ex ignorantiâ injurias! Ita, "prig" anglicè per "p" litteram incipitur.
Yes, I am sometimes surprised at how quickly people become insulting in this forum. Thankfully it's not as bad as the other one, http://www.latinforum.org.
Dic mihi, Damoeta, 'cuium pecus' anne Latinum?

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:25 pm

Si Adriani procacitatis causam scire vultis, eius sententias latinas legatis oportet. Ut parum dicam, est litterarum causa.

And if you're troubled by "an ill-prepared, disobedient mind," I recommend practicing meditation. I recently started it, and it's mind-training par excellence (I'm not sure if it has helped my Latin yet, but we'll see!).

Si "mens imparata parum parens" vos sollicitat, commendo ut meditationem exercitetis. Nuper hac via ingredior atque mentem callide exercitat (utrum latinitatem callidius calleo anne, etiam inspiciendum est!).
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:47 pm

OK. Let me fill in the spaces between the lines. The mind is an imperfect instrument that doesn't always do what we want, especially with unusual words, so it needs trained or prepared. It gets worse as you get older, of course. Meditation is good preparation, sure, as Thesaurus says, but memory devices help too: repetition, singing, note-taking, memorable sentences, etc. I was composing a sentence with only the letter "p" for words I find hard to remember: "parco" "pareo", "pario" "paro" and so on. My medium was the message. I have a hard time remembering everything and anything.

Licet. Ut spatia inter lineas impleam. Imperfecta est mens ut instrumentum. Interdùm facit aliter quàm velis, maximè cum verbis perraris. Tantùm senior fis, quantùm setius problema. Eâ ratione, mens paranda vel exercitanda est. Ut dicit Thesaurus meditatio mentem propitiat; articifia quoquè memoriae eam adjuvare possunt, uti repetitio, cantus, annotationes, sententiae memorabiles et caetera. Sententiam faciebam quae continet cum maximis vocabula difficilia ad mihi memorandum per "p" litteram incipientia. Medium mihi erat nuntium. Difficile est mihi ut memoriâ teneam aut omnes res aut ullam.

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:47 pm

Adrianus:

Thanks for that priceless mnemonic!

Gigas phoberos:

What makes Latin ESPECIALLY difficult? I’d swear it was:

1. THE INFLECTIONS. Latin words are like red-bottomed baboons in a green jungle to a colour-blind explorer. Getting the mind’s eye to take in AT ONE SWEEP all those red bottoms (inflections) in a sentence is what you have to aim at. This can only be done once you’ve assimilated a fairly large chunk of ‘the system’ (including vocab) and have thereby adjusted the wavelength(?) of your vision. Once you’ve gained ‘sweep’, wandering modifiers in poetry are just a hiccup away I’m sure.

2. WORD LENGTH. It took me ages to feel comfortable with a simple word like ‘appropinquabat’. And fewer prepositions to act as traffic-police. In the beginning, the size of the bricks seem to make the wall in front of you (that paragraph of Latin) even more opaque and impenetrable than ever.

Excuse the muddled metaphors. :oops:

Cheers,
Int

dlb
Textkit Member

Post by dlb » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:27 am

adrianus wrote:
dlb wrote:I do not believe, my dear Adrianus, it is a question of frequency but one of age!
An ill-prepared, disobedient mind, very old and enfeebled by the never-ending nature of troubled experience, most rarely manages to successfully recall words not frequently used but previously browsed when looking up answers to questions.{quote]

Thank you for adding to the list my "old and enfeebled" mind. I feel better for that. :)

However, for this ... never-ending nature of troubled experience, ... I serve the Risen Savior who gives life abundantly, mostly w/o troubled experiences due to the presence of His Comforter - the Holy Spirit!

But I do have an "an ill-prepared, disobedient very old" mind & that I willingly submit to the study of Latin henceforth for possible correction.
Deus me ducet, non ratio.
Observito Quam Educatio Melius Est.

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:41 am

Damoetas wrote:Yes, I am sometimes surprised at how quickly people become insulting in this forum.
It seemed as though Adrianus was becoming insulting, by saying that anybody who has trouble memorizing has an ill-prepared and "disobedient" (un-disciplined?) mind. But maybe I pulled the trigger too quickly on the counter-insults? Maybe English is not Adrianus' native language, in which case I should cut him some slack.
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!