Where do I go from here?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Bretonus
Textkit Neophyte

Where do I go from here?

Post by Bretonus »

χαιρετε!

I am on the verge of completing Athenaze and I was wondering what would the good people here recommend? I prefer prose and histories, however, given how little experience I have with Greek, I am open to any suggestions. I have ordered a rather pricy NT, however, I expect it to be more leisurely reading, since I can use the Vulgate as a crutch. So, what would be a good choice to challenge me, but not be too difficult?

I do have experience with Latin; I've read books 1-5 and 20-35 of Livy, a handful of Cicero, Sallust, and Caesar's Commentaries as well as random readings of the Bible.

I also have the reading course for Homeric Greek text, which I never did finish, that I may go back to now. So Homer is an option.

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Re: Where do I go from here?

Post by Lex »

Libronix Digital Library System has a version of the Iliad that has the lexical form and declension of every word. In essence, it's a word study version of the Iliad. So if you're up for Homer, you might enjoy this.
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

aloimonon
Textkit Member

Post by aloimonon »

Lex wrote:Libronix Digital Library System has a version of the Iliad that has the lexical form and declension of every word. In essence, it's a word study version of the Iliad. So if you're up for Homer, you might enjoy this.
Do you by any chance have a link, and are there other classical Greek texts as well (Xenophon in particular)?
ἀλλ' ἔγωγε ἐξ αὐτῶν τούτων μᾶλλον αὐτὸν τεθαύμακα, ὅτι ἔν τε ἀλλοκότοις καὶ ἐν ἐξαισίοις πράγμασι αὐτός τε διεγένετο καὶ τὴν ἀρχὴν διεσώσατο. Dio LXXII 36.3

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

aloimonon wrote: Do you by any chance have a link, and are there other classical Greek texts as well (Xenophon in particular)?
I got mine here. They mostly have biblical texts, and I don't know of any classical texts like Xenophon in this format. (But that doesn't mean they don't exist; I just don't know of them, if they do.)
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

aloimonon
Textkit Member

Post by aloimonon »

Lex wrote:
aloimonon wrote: Do you by any chance have a link, and are there other classical Greek texts as well (Xenophon in particular)?
I got mine here. They mostly have biblical texts, and I don't know of any classical texts like Xenophon in this format. (But that doesn't mean they don't exist; I just don't know of them, if they do.)
Thanks, Lex, I appreciate your help! If anyone knows of any classical texts in the same format please feel free to post them here. Thank you all.
ἀλλ' ἔγωγε ἐξ αὐτῶν τούτων μᾶλλον αὐτὸν τεθαύμακα, ὅτι ἔν τε ἀλλοκότοις καὶ ἐν ἐξαισίοις πράγμασι αὐτός τε διεγένετο καὶ τὴν ἀρχὴν διεσώσατο. Dio LXXII 36.3

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Post by modus.irrealis »

Bretonus wrote:I am on the verge of completing Athenaze and I was wondering what would the good people here recommend? I prefer prose and histories, however, given how little experience I have with Greek, I am open to any suggestions. I have ordered a rather pricy NT, however, I expect it to be more leisurely reading, since I can use the Vulgate as a crutch. So, what would be a good choice to challenge me, but not be too difficult?
The traditional choice used to be Xenophon, as he writes fairly textbook Attic and his style is relatively simple, specifically his Anabasis. I would recommend that for you since you say prose and history. Most people, including me, find Thucydides very difficult, and Herodotus writes in a different dialect (not that different from Attic but still). If you're interested in post-Classical historical works, there are a lot of those as well, all the way down to the fall of Constantinople.

For myself, I started off with Plato, first the Apology, which I think is a great work to start off with. There's also Lysias's speeches which are also textbook Attic. And Aesop's fables make nice short reading, but unless you like fables, I'd take these in small doses.

About Homer, you might want to consider Draper's edition of the first book of the Iliad, which I imagine would be extremely helpful for someone jumping in to Homer after having gone through a textbook.

Bretonus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bretonus »

Thank you for the Xenophon recommendation. I hope to some day read Thucydides, and if Xenophon is a good place to start, I will look for some of his material. Are there any publications of Anabasis that are good for beginners?

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Bretonus wrote:Thank you for the Xenophon recommendation. I hope to some day read Thucydides, and if Xenophon is a good place to start, I will look for some of his material. Are there any publications of Anabasis that are good for beginners?
First Greek Book

by John Williams White is for beginners and it can be downloaded from Textkit.

swiftnicholas
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by swiftnicholas »

Bretonus wrote:Are there any publications of Anabasis that are good for beginners?
There is a good edition of books 1-4 from the University of Oklahoma Press by Mather and Hewitt.

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Post by modus.irrealis »

It might also be good to look through google books and archive.org and similar sites for older school editions.