Numbers

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
tienyew
Textkit Neophyte

Numbers

Post by tienyew »

Hi, I hope this hasn't been asked before but the search feature doesn't seem to go back very far...
I'm a bit confused about the usage of ordinals and cardinals... I've seen capitulum tertium, pagina tertia, etc... English idiom, however, demands chapter three, page three, rather than its ordinals... Why is this so and do we see, in latin, capitulum tres?

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re: Numbers

Post by benissimus »

In older English texts (such as the ones you can download on this website) you will see "Chapter the Third" and such. I think "Chapter Three" is a newer convention, possibly from an ignorant misreading of "Chapter III" as "chapter three" rather than "chapter the third", but that's just a guess.

You will not see "capitulum tres" in Latin, as far as I am aware.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Essorant
Textkit Fan

Post by Essorant »

We still use the ordinals that way for Kings and Queens. For example, "Henry the Eighth" instead of "Henry Eight"

tienyew
Textkit Neophyte

Post by tienyew »

Thanks for the replies Essorant and Benissimus...

I was surprised to see Chapter the Third, and it makes more sense despite it being strange to hear... I looked at the other Romance languages and it seems, based on my Latin knowledge, that they all use ordinals... Heck, even Chinese uses ordinals... I guess English has some really strange conventions if you really scrutinize...

Damoetas
Textkit Fan

Post by Damoetas »

benissimus wrote:In older English texts (such as the ones you can download on this website) you will see "Chapter the Third" and such. I think "Chapter Three" is a newer convention, possibly from an ignorant misreading of "Chapter III" as "chapter three" rather than "chapter the third", but that's just a guess.
Perhaps the simplest explanation is that expressions like "Chapter the Third" do not fit the larger patterns of English usage. If you think about it, ordinals usually precede the noun they modify: the ninth inning, the third quarter, our 43rd president. Cardinals, when used to describe a noun, come after it: Area 51, Slaughterhouse-Five, District 9.

One can always chalk up a historical change to "ignorance," but usually more insight can be gained by looking at the broader structures of the language and seeing what internal logic is being followed.
Dic mihi, Damoeta, 'cuium pecus' anne Latinum?

Essorant
Textkit Fan

Post by Essorant »

"Three" in "chapter three" is also not an adjective, but is a noun or name just as "Alfred" is in "King Alfred" . It doesn't actually mean "three" (Otherwise it should be "three chapters" instead of "chapter three"), but instead means "the number three itself, or state of being where number three is, the third place, etc"