colloquium leidense

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

colloquium leidense

Post by ingrid70 »

Hi all,

I was reading the colloquium Leidense from the bibliotheca Augustana. In Nicholas Oster's book 'Ad Infinitum, a Biography of Latin', the phrase 'densa te' is translated with 'pay attention'. I was thinking more of: 'move over'. Any thoughts?

Ingrid

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: colloquium leidense

Post by adrianus »

I agree. "Pull in/squeeze up/squash up/tighten up"
Tibi convenio.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

ptolemyauletes
Textkit Fan

Post by ptolemyauletes »

Perhaps if you think of a person's thoughts wandering around, the teacher is remonstrating him to bring his thoughts together, in one place, thus the verb denso, to bring together, to make thick.
The only thing we can guarantee when communicating via the internet is that we will be almost completely misunderstood, and likely cause great offence in doing so. Throw in an attempt at humour and you insure a lifelong enemy will be made.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

3. Primum saluto magistrum, qui me resalutavit. ave magister. avete condiscipuli. discipuli. condiscipuli, locum mihi date meum. scamnum. scamellum. sella. densa te.
4. Illuc accedite. meus locus est. ego occupavi. sedi. sedeo. disco. discis. edisco. ediscis. iam teneo meam lectionem. meus. mea. meum. mihi. noster. nostra. nostrum. nobis. tuum. tuus. tibi. vos. nos. vestrum. vobis dico. iam possum. potui. reddere. reddo. reddidi.
When you read the piece, you see the master hasn't enough room (to get through to his place).
Colloquio lecto, vides ut sat spatium magistro caret. Transducere vel inter ire ad locum suum non potest.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

Thank you, both.

I thought it was the boy trying to find a place to sit, but it amounts to the same thing: it's more logical to consider densa te as a request to make some room, than to pay attention.

I like these texts, though, in a few words, you see a boy struggle with his wax tablet to write his letters.

Ingrid

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

ingrid70 wrote:I thought it was the boy trying to find a place to sit, but it amounts to the same thing
You're right. That's more in keeping. Maybe to someone beside him.
Rectè dicis. Aptius est. Fortassè puer aliquem ad latus suum compellat.
ingrid70 wrote:I like these texts, though, in a few words, you see a boy struggle with his wax tablet to write his letters.
Yes, they're really good. I didn't know of them. Good reference.
Iterum, perbona haec colloquia. Nova mihi sunt. Tibi gratiam habeo de nexu.