Question

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Re: Question

Post by IreneY » Mon May 25, 2009 2:23 am

Hi! About that third one. It's an off-chance but is it included here? http://www.ccel.org/ccel/brownlie/greek ... epage.html
As for "νεκρωθῶμεν" that's exactly what I mean. Kind of like "dead to the world" or something. I think you figured the rest out yourself so you don't need my paltry efforts to help out a bit :) I do want to crack that third one out though, it's driving me crazy!

P.S. Big Week eh? That's a good one. Have you tried actually explaining the idea of "Big/Holy Monday" etc to people? Have of them look at me strange and the others sort of get what I'm talking about (forget "Big Saturday"! That's too strange :D )

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Post by modus.irrealis » Wed May 27, 2009 2:20 am

IreneY wrote:Hi! About that third one. It's an off-chance but is it included here? http://www.ccel.org/ccel/brownlie/greek ... epage.html
As for "νεκρωθῶμεν" that's exactly what I mean. Kind of like "dead to the world" or something. I think you figured the rest out yourself so you don't need my paltry efforts to help out a bit :) I do want to crack that third one out though, it's driving me crazy!
Thanks for the link, but unfortunately it's not there. Looking more carefully at the google results, there does seem to be a version with γνώμῃ and not γνώμη like I had, so that may have been a typo. Hopefully that helps you out.
P.S. Big Week eh? That's a good one. Have you tried actually explaining the idea of "Big/Holy Monday" etc to people? Have of them look at me strange and the others sort of get what I'm talking about (forget "Big Saturday"! That's too strange :D )
No ... but now I'm wondering, what's the strange part?

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:55 am

Hey there! About the "Big Week". Apparently very few people thing of the Holy Week as well, a holy week. Holy Friday yes, the rest of the days no, not really. I mean, sure, they are holy but they don't think of them as so. Don't know if I'm making any sense here.

As for that text we were talking about: I had an idea. I haven't been able to think it through yet but I thought I'd share what I thought.

How about "Let your "state" of the omogenon (?) be the opposite of the order of the heathens? As in our leaders are the "least" (hockey doesn't help thinking linguistics you know) and not considered (or consider themselves) the most important people (as they do in the social order of the "heathens")

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Post by modus.irrealis » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:48 am

IreneY wrote:Hey there! About the "Big Week". Apparently very few people thing of the Holy Week as well, a holy week. Holy Friday yes, the rest of the days no, not really. I mean, sure, they are holy but they don't think of them as so. Don't know if I'm making any sense here.
Pff. I remember being forced to fast and go to church, so it was very a "churchy" week for me. (Although, I do believe I enjoyed walking under the epitafio on Friday and the firecrackers on Saturday night :D.)
How about "Let your "state" of the omogenon (?) be the opposite of the order of the heathens? As in our leaders are the "least" (hockey doesn't help thinking linguistics you know) and not considered (or consider themselves) the most important people (as they do in the social order of the "heathens")
I like that -- it makes more sense to take τάξις that way than with the militaristic meaning I was thinking, since it goes with what comes later. I doubt ομογενής refers to the Jewish diaspora, but I can see it being a contrast to the gentiles and referring to the Jewish people as a whole... maybe. I still don't get the οὐ κλῆρος γὰρ ἐμός, τυραννὶς δέ, γνώμη αὐθαίρετος part though, although perhaps κλῆρος here means that the heathen's order is not Christ's inheritance, but that it's "voluntary tyranny"?? Or perhaps "arbitrary tyranny"?

And hockey?! You also getting into the Stanley Cup finals??

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:54 am

Have to think about it a bit longer. Question (since I am woefully inadequate in some aspects of Koine): Can κλήρος mean anything else than what it usuallly means? Just to cover all my basis and not try for a meaning that could be wrong. About αυθαίρετος now; I think it may actually have the meaning of "self-chosen" not as "voluntarily" chosen but maybe "arbitrary whatever"? Could be that modern Greek gets in the way though :D

As for hockey yes, I'm a fan. Was even before I moved and let me tell you, hunting for hockey games on sat TV is no fun! One of the nice things about moving to the US is I can watch hockey to my heart's content. I have to say that I was rather impartial when back home, favouring the Red Wings only because their colours are the same as Olympiakos' but now that I am in Michigan I'm definitely supporting them (nothing whatsoever to do with my husband being a HUGE supporter of them at all :D )

P.S. Going under Epitaphios was fun!! (Anastasi still is :D Fun story: None of my grandpas was very religious. My mom's dad however was really annoyed by the culinary restrictions of lent. Therefore, when he found out about Μικρή Ανάσταση, he decided that since Christ had already risen he didn't have to fast anymore! According to my mom he drove my grandma crazy because he would start singing, drinking and grilling meat outside just after noon ! :D )

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Post by modus.irrealis » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:04 pm

IreneY wrote:Have to think about it a bit longer. Question (since I am woefully inadequate in some aspects of Koine): Can κλήρος mean anything else than what it usuallly means? Just to cover all my basis and not try for a meaning that could be wrong. About αυθαίρετος now; I think it may actually have the meaning of "self-chosen" not as "voluntarily" chosen but maybe "arbitrary whatever"? Could be that modern Greek gets in the way though :D
I don't know, but that's something I should check. Next chance I get, I'll pass by my library, where I believe they have a dictionary for the Greek of the Roman and Byzantine periods.
As for hockey yes, I'm a fan. Was even before I moved and let me tell you, hunting for hockey games on sat TV is no fun! One of the nice things about moving to the US is I can watch hockey to my heart's content. I have to say that I was rather impartial when back home, favouring the Red Wings only because their colours are the same as Olympiakos' but now that I am in Michigan I'm definitely supporting them (nothing whatsoever to do with my husband being a HUGE supporter of them at all :D )
That I didn't know. I'm supporting Detroit too -- actually I'm unsupporting Pittsburgh :D.
P.S. Going under Epitaphios was fun!! (Anastasi still is :D Fun story: None of my grandpas was very religious. My mom's dad however was really annoyed by the culinary restrictions of lent. Therefore, when he found out about Μικρή Ανάσταση, he decided that since Christ had already risen he didn't have to fast anymore! According to my mom he drove my grandma crazy because he would start singing, drinking and grilling meat outside just after noon ! :D )
:lol: