Study Group

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
fordprefect
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Study Group

Post by fordprefect »

I did sign up for the list, but I don't know anything else about it.

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

fordprefect wrote:I did sign up for the list, but I don't know anything else about it.
Have you been receiving the messages sent to homer@jhronline.com?

fordprefect
Textkit Neophyte

Post by fordprefect »

Sent to? Then no, I have no idea how to check that addresses messages. And I don't think I've got any from that address either.

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

fordprefect wrote:Sent to? Then no, I have no idea how to check that addresses messages. And I don't think I've got any from that address either.
So, write me at jaihare@jhronline.com so that I can have your e-mail address and add you to the list. We are (temporarily) sending messages to homer@jhronline.com with all group-related stuff. Once you're on the list, you can send messages and will receive all the messages others send to this address (it only accepts messages from people on the list).

Hope to hear from you soon. I have no other way to know your e-mail address, since I'm not pulling e-mail address from the Pharr-e list (for the sake of privacy).

Jason

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

I'd love to start an Athenaze group. Also a Latin one.

I can take care of scheduling and pariculars if there is interest.
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

paulusnb
Textkit Fan

Post by paulusnb »

Lucus Eques wrote:I'd love to start an Athenaze group. Also a Latin one.

I can take care of scheduling and pariculars if there is interest.
What are you thinking for the Athenaze group? I have been making my way through the Italian version and I would be interested in something more structured.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. ~Swift

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

I think being able to go through it scheduled, and to be able to ask one another questions, would be very valuable and amicable.

I also am using the Italian version of Athenaze.
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Loretta S
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Loretta S »

Hello, My name is Loretta. I would love to start learning Greek with a group. I see this group may have already started. Do you know of another group I could join?

Thanks for your help,
Loretta S

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

Loretta S wrote:Hello, My name is Loretta. I would love to start learning Greek with a group. I see this group may have already started. Do you know of another group I could join?

Thanks for your help,
Loretta S
We have started yet. Are you familiar with the alphabet already? If you're interested, download or purchase a copy of Pharr's Homeric Greek and send me your e-mail address in PM. You can start with us.

Yours,
Jason

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

Lucus Eques wrote:I think being able to go through it scheduled, and to be able to ask one another questions, would be very valuable and amicable.

I also am using the Italian version of Athenaze.
I'd be happy to go through the Athenaze series again this summer (I also have the Italian version). I backed out of the Pharr thing because I don't have the time for a new textbook, but doing Athenaze again would be a (needed) review.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

demetri
Textkit Neophyte

Post by demetri »

annis wrote:
wallerrm wrote:As for the use of software: can anyone direct me to a site that will explain what software options I have for typing and reporting my English to Greek in Greek characters? (Someone may have answered this in the last couple of posts, but the discussion was already over my head.)
There are four sticky posts in this Greek forum — they always occur at the start of the list — explaining the various options for getting polytonic Greek (i.e., ancient letters with accents and breathing marks) on your computer.
Anyone have experience getting polytonic Greek to work under (Ubuntu) Linux? I am having some problems with this which are impacting my participation thus far on temporary list discussion. Perhaps all I'm missing is a keyboard template as I've done all the docs say to do. If I must use my XP computer instead that presents me a different set of problems such as getting emails on my preferred Linux machine (and reviewing them here) and then leaving the emails on server to respond or ask questions in reply from Windows computer. Not ideal.

ΔΗΜΗΤΡΙΟΣ

savarez
Textkit Neophyte

Post by savarez »

demetri wrote:Anyone have experience getting polytonic Greek to work under (Ubuntu) Linux? I am having some problems with this which are impacting my participation thus far on temporary list discussion. Perhaps all I'm missing is a keyboard template as I've done all the docs say to do.
OpenOffice (http://www.openoffice.org) + Thessalonica (http://www.thessalonica.org.ru/en/thessalonica-ooo.html) will do what you need. This is what I use on my little Acer AspireOne Linux box.

If worse comes to worse, you can always compose on http://www.typegreek.com/ and then paste into your word processor.

Good luck.

demetri
Textkit Neophyte

Post by demetri »

savarez wrote:
demetri wrote:Anyone have experience getting polytonic Greek to work under (Ubuntu) Linux? I am having some problems with this which are impacting my participation thus far on temporary list discussion. Perhaps all I'm missing is a keyboard template as I've done all the docs say to do.
OpenOffice (http://www.openoffice.org) + Thessalonica (http://www.thessalonica.org.ru/en/thessalonica-ooo.html) will do what you need. This is what I use on my little Acer AspireOne Linux box.

If worse comes to worse, you can always compose on http://www.typegreek.com/ and then paste into your word processor.

Good luck.
Thanks. I'll give it a try. OpenOffice, preinstalled with Ubuntu, is supposed to support this already, but that is not the case as far as I can tell.

hubert
Textkit Neophyte

Post by hubert »

Hello,
for me it works under Ubuntu, here is what I did:
right click on the panel and choose "Add to panel", then choose "keyboard indicator"
right click on this indicator, choose "preferences" then go to tab layout and add a greek polytonic keyboard,
after that when you click on the indicator it switches between the different keyboards.
that should work!
Hubert

Polyidos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Polyidos »

Chalk up one more for the group. I have already contacted Jason offline to see if he would accept another learner. He agreed and so I have subscribed to the "official" mailing list and the temporary one. I just wanted to make my presence publicly known as well before we actually begin.

I originally had planned to join the Pharr-C group (is it really almost 3 years ago?) but real-life intervened just as the group was getting started. I've kept my Textkit login and extra email account all along so if anybody thinks they've seen this name before they have. (Also my long overdue apologies to Bert and the others for dropping out without providing any notice of my predicament. It won't happen again.)

Well, I have book in hand, my trusty LSJ by my side and look forward to the remaining technicalities getting sorted out so that we may begin our journey.

--- Πολύϊδος

demetri
Textkit Neophyte

Post by demetri »

hubert wrote:Hello,
for me it works under Ubuntu, here is what I did:
right click on the panel and choose "Add to panel", then choose "keyboard indicator"
right click on this indicator, choose "preferences" then go to tab layout and add a greek polytonic keyboard,
after that when you click on the indicator it switches between the different keyboards.
that should work!
Hubert
Yes, that's what I have done already and it does work. I just am not finding a full set of diacriticals. Got a template?

Loretta S
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Loretta S »

I'm a little confused. I'm new to learning greek and I see posts about some kind of keyboard translation. Do I need this for the study group? Help!!!

Loretta

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

Loretta S wrote:I'm a little confused. I'm new to learning greek and I see posts about some kind of keyboard translation. Do I need this for the study group? Help!!!
The group leaders might let you use Betacode or something, I don't know. But Unicode Greek is much nicer to look at, so I recommend that you use a keyboard setup or program that can type it if possible. What operating system do you use?
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

Loretta S
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Loretta S »

I have windows xp, with word 2000

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

Loretta S wrote:I have windows xp, with word 2000
Click the Start button, and go to the Control Panel selection. From the Control Panel, select Regional aand Language Options. From the dialog box that should pop up, select the Languages tab, and click the "Details..." button. On the dialog box that should pop up, you should see a keyboard icon in a list. Click the "Add..." button, and the "Add Input Language" dialog box should pop up. Select Greek for the Input Language dropdown box, and Greek Polytonic for the Keyboard Layout/IME dropdown box. Then click the OK button. You should then see a new keyboard icon in the keyboard list. Hit the Apply button, then close out the dialog boxes using the OK buttons. You should see "EN" on your task bar, towards the right. This is the Language Bar. Open up Notepad or something, then press LEFT ALT+SHIFT (must be the left alt key, and must be both at the same time). The "EN" should change to "EL" for the Greek keyboard. You can also click on the "EN", and it will give you a popup menu to change to Greek. Then you should be able to type Greek into Notepad. You may want to get a font with nice Greek letters like Gentium or New Athena Unicode from the Internet, if you don't already have them. You should be able to find them from Google.

I also recently posted a zipped up text file that has a crib sheet for the Greek Polytonic keyboard.
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

Ichiro

Post by Ichiro »

can you tell me more about this study group? do you have a proposed syllabus, or is that yet to be determined. I am interested in joining if not too late. thanks very much.

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

Ichiro wrote:can you tell me more about this study group? do you have a proposed syllabus, or is that yet to be determined. I am interested in joining if not too late. thanks very much.
This is the e-mail that Annis sent to the group yesterday. If you're interested in getting started, send an e-mail to him (wm.annis at gmail dot com) to request a username for his site's Moodle program. This is what we're going to use to submit assignments and keep track of progress.
For collecting people's translations, we're going to use the
web-based software package known as Moodle. This tool
is designed for actual classroom use, so in some ways it's
a bit over-designed for our needs, but it does do everything
I'd want. I have three lessons ready to go, and will keep
importing new ones as time goes on.

To give ourselves (both students and the two guides) a little
time to get used to the system, I have given us a full week
to complete lesson 3, which isn't very much work at all if
you're not doing the English to Greek work.

So I don't have to deal with spam, I will need to create your
Moodle account by hand. Because Moodle expects to be
used in actual classroom settings, it asks an awful lot of
questions before creating an account. For example, it wants
not only a login, but your real name. Feel free to make up
creative names if you'd rather not have your real name on the
site. Do note that no one can see anything in the site unless
they are in a class, so it's not like random people will see
your information.

The URL: http://www.scholiastae.org/moodle/

Please email *me* (not the entire list):
desired login name
your email address
first name, last name
city, country or not - I put us in Ithaca, Greece :)

Once I create your account I'll send you email with your
account name and password. PLEASE CHANGE your
password immediately once you log in. Then take a look
at the courses available, and sign up for Pharr-E.

There is a simple Forum in Moodle, which I believe I have
finally set up correctly to allow people to post. I don't know
if people prefer email or that for asking grammar questions.

Pommy
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Pommy »

Hey Jason please check your PM box when you can, sorry it took me long to reply.

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

Pommy wrote:Hey Jason please check your PM box when you can, sorry it took me long to reply.
I checked it before I even got to this post. ;)

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Ooohkay. We have a good number of people, and I'd like to close enrollment for this session now. I'll add people in the mailing lists who haven't yet contacted me for their Moodle account, but no more new people, I'm afraid.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Too bad I checked out the thread too late. :(
Is it impossible to join the group in the middle of the way?
I had failed to graduate Pharr-b group a few years ago.
My job was very pressing those days, but I got a different job and I think I could spare much more time for study.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

mingshey wrote:Is it impossible to join the group in the middle of the way?
We've had our usual attrition. Do you feel you could keep up if you start at lesson 10?

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

annis wrote:
mingshey wrote:Is it impossible to join the group in the middle of the way?
We've had our usual attrition. Do you feel you could keep up if you start at lesson 10?
Yes, of course. In fact I'd been doing some review on the first dozens of chapters by myself early this year.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

mingshey wrote:Yes, of course.
Don't you mean πῶς γὰρ οὔ? :)

Email or message me what login name you want, your real name and email address.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

annis wrote:
mingshey wrote:Yes, of course.
Don't you mean πῶς γὰρ οὔ? :)
Yup. How can I afford to "not" catch up whatever is needed given this chance? :D