Study Group

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Ivansalgadogarcia
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Study Group

Post by Ivansalgadogarcia »

Ok, I'm in the list :D , so I wait the schedule, I don't know about the software, I've never used any kind of this, but I wait, hehehehe.

BTW, Annis, in the Latin Forum I'm also getting started an ovid study group, it seems that someone has written to you, thank you. :D
nam ista corruptela servi si non modo impunita fuerit, sed etiam a tanta auctoritate approbata, nulli parietes nostram salutem, nullae leges, aulla iura custodient. (Cic. Deiot. 30)

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

Pommy wrote:By the way, I am still in school and it is tough. I basically just wanted to learn a little Greek because im taking it next year and I want to get a jump start .. So I might not be able to go as fast as you guys, is it ok if I still join?
Do you know the alphabet already? If you don't, you need to be thoroughly familiar with it before we begin. I would imagine that you're welcome to participate as long as you can, but if you don't know already know a little Greek, I think you'll be at a disandvantage from the very beginning. Most of us already know the alphabet, how to type in Greek and even large amounts of grammar from previous Greek study. I really hope that the study won't overwhelm you. If you could just get the alphabet and the first set of vocabulary under your belt before we begin, it would be so helpful to you.

Perhaps someone else has some better advice or suggestions for your situation.

Pommy
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Pommy »

Kk sounds good, I got about half the alphabet memorized now and working on the other half, will start learning vocab as soon as I can.

anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by anphph »

Wonderful! Just the past week I somberly browsed Pharr's Homeric Greek, telling myself how much I wanted to get it going. Now here's a chance! Sign me up, please!

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

I'm interested in joining. I was in the last Pharr group a while ago but it didn't work out for me then because I was studying abroad at the time and had a lot else going on.

My only caveat is that I've been studying Attic Greek for a while now on my own. I've gotten to the point where I can read basic texts with labor, but I have no experience with Homeric Greek and I'd like to try that. Will this be a problem? Should I worry about possible interference between the Homeric and Attic dialects? Has anyone else made this switch?
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by anphph »

thesaurus wrote:My only caveat is that I've been studying Attic Greek for a while now on my own. I've gotten to the point where I can read basic texts with labor, but I have no experience with Homeric Greek and I'd like to try that. Will this be a problem? Should I worry about possible interference between the Homeric and Attic dialects? Has anyone else made this switch?
Yes, this actually applies to me as well, so I second the question.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

thesaurus wrote:My only caveat is that I've been studying Attic Greek for a while now on my own. I've gotten to the point where I can read basic texts with labor, but I have no experience with Homeric Greek and I'd like to try that.
You'll misuse the article a lot at first. In Homer, it's a demonstrative. Other than that, Pharr takes it from the beginning. Just pay attention to the differences in morphology — which aren't for the most part that huge — and you'll be fine.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

annis wrote: You'll misuse the article a lot at first. In Homer, it's a demonstrative. Other than that, Pharr takes it from the beginning. Just pay attention to the differences in morphology — which aren't for the most part that huge — and you'll be fine.
Great! Then count me in.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

This puts us here:

Guides
adelheid
annis

Participants
jaihare
ivansalgadogarcia
paulb
pommy
miguelm
thesaurus

If you know anyone else that might be interested in studying Homeric Greek with us, let them know that we're about to start. I'm glad you guys have taken up the offer and are joining in. The more, the merrier!! :)

ΙΑΣΩΝ

Ivansalgadogarcia
Textkit Neophyte

Well, I'm ready. Nothing yet about the software? :)
nam ista corruptela servi si non modo impunita fuerit, sed etiam a tanta auctoritate approbata, nulli parietes nostram salutem, nullae leges, aulla iura custodient. (Cic. Deiot. 30)

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

Well, let's get started with some first declension practice! :)

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

You may also be interested in this thread:

Pharr Discussions By Chapter

It lists most of the previous discussions in the forum related to the Pharr textbook, sorted by chapter.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Ivansalgadogarcia wrote:Well, I'm ready. Nothing yet about the software? :)
There is a complication. (There always is where computers are involved.)

Paul's willing to set up his software for a Pharr study group, but he hasn't done much with it in a while — long enough, that he cannot get into his server account, nor can he get his ISP to speak to him. He thinks it may take him a few weeks to get everything back in shape.

Another possibility would be for me to install Moodle somewhere. Moodle is a very widely used piece of educational software. It's not classics or Greek focused — it wouldn't provide automatic links to Perseus dictionaries — but is otherwise similar in operation to Paul's tool.

Regardless of what tool we use, people should IM me their email addresses so I can just drop everyone into whatever software we end up using, and the mailing list. Since there are two groups forming (one for Ovid) make sure you tell me which group.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

The mailing list portion of the site exists now: http://textkit.com/mailman/listinfo/pharr-e_textkit.com

Visit that and fill out the form to sign up. As a spam-prevention measure, I have to click buttons to approve subscription requests. It just means there may be a few hours between when you sign up and when you get confirming email.

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

annis wrote:The mailing list portion of the site exists now: http://textkit.com/mailman/listinfo/pharr-e_textkit.com

Visit that and fill out the form to sign up. As a spam-prevention measure, I have to click buttons to approve subscription requests. It just means there may be a few hours between when you sign up and when you get confirming email.
Once we've signed up, then what? :)

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

jaihare wrote:Once we've signed up, then what? :)
You wait for the other people to sign up. :) The mailing list is the usual place for questions specific to the study group, as well as the usual place to hash out the schedule. But let's get more people in the list first.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

jaihare wrote:
annis wrote:The mailing list portion of the site exists now: http://textkit.com/mailman/listinfo/pharr-e_textkit.com

Once we've signed up, then what? :)
Eager beaver aint he?

Ivansalgadogarcia
Textkit Neophyte

I've signed up, however, I'll get into the practices in the other thread. :)

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

Bert wrote:
jaihare wrote: Once we've signed up, then what? :)
Eager beaver aint he?
:lol:

Hey, Jason, here are two virtual Valium... because we care! :P
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

edonnelly wrote:You may also be interested in this thread:

Pharr Discussions By Chapter

It lists most of the previous discussions in the forum related to the Pharr textbook, sorted by chapter.
Because of coding issues between the new forum and the old, these things may not be as useful as they once were. I pulled a few things from them and put them in a notepad with the SPIonic font to see it clearly in Greek type. It's too bad these didn't convert clearly into Unicode! LOL

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

The switch from spionic to unicode occurred long before the switch to the new forum, so even when my group was starting Pharr a little over two years ago the same problem was there. The spionic issue isn't really that big of a problem when you are reading posts related to a chapter you are actively working on. A bigger problem, though, seems to be a loss of some of the unicode from the forum change-over. For example in this thread, I definitely wrote in unicode (as did everyone at the time, since spionic was no longer supported), but I can't even read what I wrote; and unlike spionic/betacode, which you can generally figure out, it's all been turned into garbage.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

edonnelly wrote:The switch from spionic to unicode occurred long before the switch to the new forum, so even when my group was starting Pharr a little over two years ago the same problem was there. The spionic issue isn't really that big of a problem when you are reading posts related to a chapter you are actively working on. A bigger problem, though, seems to be a loss of some of the unicode from the forum change-over. For example in this thread, I definitely wrote in unicode (as did everyone at the time, since spionic was no longer supported), but I can't even read what I wrote; and unlike spionic/betacode, which you can generally figure out, it's all been turned into garbage.
That's definitely a bigger mess!!

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

FOR ALL INTERESTED IN THIS STUDY

Sign up on the list linked above. This is the e-mail list that will link us all together. Let's all get on that list and then we can get started. :)

ΙΑΣΩΝ

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

jaihare wrote: Sign up on the list linked above. This is the e-mail list that will link us all together. Let's all get on that list and then we can get started. :)
Here's a little something to wash down those virtual Valiums with, Jay! :lol:

I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

Ivansalgadogarcia
Textkit Neophyte

I've signed up in the mailing list, I'm in the "digested members" list, but the others seem to be still waiting :shock: , hehehehehehehe, maybe we can start without a schedule just working a lesson weekly, I haven't ever moderate a study group, but have many proposals for exercises and learning methods. What do you think?

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

Ivansalgadogarcia wrote:I've signed up in the mailing list, I'm in the "digested members" list, but the others seem to be still waiting :shock: , hehehehehehehe, maybe we can start without a schedule just working a lesson weekly, I haven't ever moderate a study group, but have many proposals for exercises and learning methods. What do you think?
I get lost in dates and worrying about everyone's holidays. It's hard enough keeping track of the Jewish holidays to worry about any others! LOL

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

When there are a few more people joined up, and I have whichever web based homework system we're going to use ready for you, I'll send a preliminary schedule to the mailing list. Another week at least, but everyone should be working on mastering the alphabet already.

anglicus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by anglicus »

I think I would like to join up, if you're still accepting. I still haven't read much Homer, which I would like to rectify, and I think this would be a good way to keep me on a steady course (I have a tendency on my own to do things in irregular spurts: work on it frantically for hours a day for a few weeks, then forget about it for a few weeks). I just subscribed to the list, and I'm pretty much ready to go anytime!

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

anglicus wrote:I think I would like to join up, if you're still accepting. I still haven't read much Homer, which I would like to rectify, and I think this would be a good way to keep me on a steady course (I have a tendency on my own to do things in irregular spurts: work on it frantically for hours a day for a few weeks, then forget about it for a few weeks). I just subscribed to the list, and I'm pretty much ready to go anytime!
Welcome aboard, then. :)

Has everyone signed up for the list?

cb
Textkit Zealot

Post by cb »

hi, i know someone who is thinking about joining. would you please let me know when the group is about to start, thanks :)

Ivansalgadogarcia
Textkit Neophyte

We're still waiting for the mailing list to work, however, i guess after Holidays. :)

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

How's everyone doing in terms of motivation and preparation? Have the beginners started picking up the alphabet yet?

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

I'm sorry, but I'm still trying to figure out why the new mailing lists aren't accepting email from people. I'll be pinging Jeff about it again tomorrow.

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

annis wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm still trying to figure out why the new mailing lists aren't accepting email from people. I'll be pinging Jeff about it again tomorrow.
Excellent.

So, we'll start after Passover/Easter? I don't now when Easter is, but Passover begins on Wednesday evening. Perhaps we can pick up like on the sixteenth or so, just after the holiday? When is Easter again?

Regards and Happy Holidays,
ΙΗΣΩΝ

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

jaihare wrote:When is Easter again?
Next Sunday, the 12th.

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

Good. :) It's in the middle of Passover, so we'll all be finished with holidays and ready for the study by the end of next week! :) What do you think?

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

How do you say "Wow I'm tired!" in Homeric Greek? :?:

demetri
Textkit Neophyte

Post by demetri »

Lex wrote:
Next Sunday, the 12th.
Unless one is Orthodox, then April 19th. :wink:

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

demetri wrote:
Lex wrote:
Next Sunday, the 12th.
Unless one is Orthodox, then April 19th. :wink:
Either way, I hope everyone's enjoying (or, will enjoy) their repsective holidays. We're in the swing of Passover now. I'm taking a short vacation, visiting some friends. I'll be back on Sunday (I've been here since Wednesday). It's just after 16:00, and Shabbat begins just after 18:30 tonight. I'm still waiting for my Pharr text to arrive. It might be at my house waiting for me when I get there. (As a sidenote, someone broke into my apartment on Wednesday -- but they didn't take anything belonging to me personally. They took my roommate's work cellphone and purse with all of her IDs and credit cards. I was asleep in the next room and had no clue. How creepy!)

Happy Holidays to all.

Jason

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

Would you believe that I'm still waiting for the textbook?!?! Hopefully it will arrive soon. How's the planning going?