Catullus' idea of Romantic Love?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Scribo
Global Moderator

Catullus' idea of Romantic Love?

Post by Scribo »

..Does he actually have one? does he seem to have a concrete idea of the rights and wrongs of it? the advantages and disadvantages?

Am I wrong in thinking it's mainly a physical thing for him?

I ask seriously, not having read ALL the poems, I was hoping for some insights from more experianced Classicists.
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re: Catullus' idea of Romantic Love?

Post by benissimus »

I would say most of his love poems (the ones directed at Lesbia, at least) are more idealistic than physical. I'm curious what led you to believe that he is focused on the physical, since he rarely mentions anything raunchier than kissing in his love poems... unless you take passer to be a metaphor for mentula.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Rhodopeius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Rhodopeius »

And even in his raunchy poems, I think it's more about the social implications of the physical acts.
Scott Sumrall. http://classicsexercises.blogspot.com

"Qui sis, non unde natus sis reputa."

rDeckard
Textkit Neophyte

Post by rDeckard »

I am no expert on Catullus, ideas, romance or love, but I took a class taught by David Wray last quarter (on Lucretius) and I have flipped through his book: "Catullus and the Poetics of Roman Manhood". I don't know if it would help, but it may have what you're looking for:

http://www.amazon.com/Catullus-Poetics- ... 262&sr=1-2
You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

paulusnb
Textkit Fan

Post by paulusnb »

Catullus' relationship with Lesbia is not just physical. That would be to love like the herd, something Catullus says his own love is not like. Catullus says time and time again that his is a purer love. On occasion, he mentions a sacred contract that Lesbia has violated.

As far as the Physical in Catullus, he does not get truly vulgar or directly mention sex with Lesbia until she dumps him. When she does, he calls her a "scortilla" (if memory serves. I may be confusing this with the whore he meets in the Forum)* and mentions her bursting the loins of three hundred men. Benissimus is right that he never mentions the hot and heavy, explicitly anyway, in his "love poems." I never noticed this. Interesting.

Are there prominent latin "love poems" that explicitly mention physical sexual acts? By love poems, I do not mean conquests. I can think of many Martial/Catullus/Horace poems that mention sex, but I cannot think of one that is between two socially equal lovers.

*I have checked. The scortilla is the friend's girl in the Forum. The sleeping with 300 men is Catullus 11, and the mention of "moecha" (a synonym for scorta) in this poem refers to the lovers of Lesbia. My memory is going.
Last edited by paulusnb on Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. ~Swift

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

paulusnb wrote:...When she does, he calls her a "scortilla" (if memory serves. I may be confusing this with the whore he meets in the Forum) and mentions her bursting the loins of three hundred men. ....
OK, I gotta ask... What is a "scortilla"? Is that a fancy way of saying "d*** tease"? Or "b*** buster"?
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

paulusnb
Textkit Fan

Post by paulusnb »

"Scortilla" is the diminutive form of scorta. It means "little slut." I checked it and he does not call Lesbia this. This is the friend's girl in the forum.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. ~Swift