On the Mommsen's History of Rome (Book 1, Chapter II)

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Ivansalgadogarcia
Textkit Neophyte

On the Mommsen's History of Rome (Book 1, Chapter II)

Post by Ivansalgadogarcia »

Theodor Mommsen in his History of Rome writes about the first migrations in italian lands, in the italian translation of this text i found:

"Secondo i resultati delle indagini... debe aver abitato o piuttosto aver vagato un popolo di stirpe tschudisca che viveva di caccia e di pesca..."

Does anybody know what does "TSCHUDISCO" mean? I've loooking for in the web but i can't found anything, the english translation I can read at Google Books translates as "Mongol". Does anybody know about it?

Thank you.
nam ista corruptela servi si non modo impunita fuerit, sed etiam a tanta auctoritate approbata, nulli parietes nostram salutem, nullae leges, aulla iura custodient. (Cic. Deiot. 30)

Essorant
Textkit Fan

Re: On the Mommsen's History of Rome (Book 1, Chapter II)

Post by Essorant »

I don't know Italian, but it seems to be a shape of saying chudish, of a Chud ( ? ).

Misopogon
Textkit Member

Post by Misopogon »

As you guess, the word is not Italian, I can only suppose a typo (instead of what? Tedesco? Osco? Falisco? no idea, sorry) or the use of original German word (tschudisch??) adapted to Italian.
Maybe some textkitter can check the original German version.

Regards
Misopogon

Misopogon
Textkit Member

Post by Misopogon »

Essorant wrote:I don't know Italian, but it seems to be a shape of saying chudish, of a Chud ( ? ).
It seems you're right: I guess that, since Italian didn't have this ethnic adjective, the translator adopted the German ortography. After a quick search I've found the French translation, that confirms your idea:
http://www.mediterranee-antique.info/Ro ... .htm#_edn1

see note number 1

Regards
Misopogon

Ivansalgadogarcia
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ivansalgadogarcia »

Thank you so much!!! Notes to the french version do really help.
Thanks a lot.

lalunadeenfrente
Textkit Neophyte

Post by lalunadeenfrente »

I've got the same doubt for a translation into Spanish of Feuerbach's Lectures on the Essence of Religion. Feuerbach says "Der tshudische Stamm" and I don't know how to translate it. I've found in the web "tschudish" as "tatarisch" (Wikipedia). I would be very grateful if someone could help me!