Lingva Latina

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Джек
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Джек » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:25 pm

ЗдравÑ￾твуй, Лука

Which book are you talking about? I recommended two. Wade's is far more comprehensive than Brown's, however I think you will find both useful. Let me know what you think of them. Perhaps when you are confident enough, you should write to me entirely in Russian. That would be an experience for you, I think. I shall do the same with Latin, however I fear it will take me a little longer to pick up Latin, as I have other academic commitments, not least my Russian studies, which are going very well, I might add. Is it unusual to post sentences or paragraphs to correct on here? I mean, Latin is supposedly a language that should just be read. Or rather, that is how it is portrayed in schools over here, and in America, it seems. I don't agree with this, as you know. For example, if I wrote a post asking for sentences to be corrected concerning the case endings, would that be unusual? My vocabulary is not very extensive at the moment, however it will grow rapidly once I acquire Lingua Latina, which should be arriving soon. How is your Russian coming along? It seems to be getting along great! ПоздравлÑ￾ÑŽ, еще раз! Я жду Ñ￾ нетерпением говорить Ñ￾ тобой по-руÑ￾Ñ￾ки! Ты пишешь очень хорошо.

Jack
If I am so brave as to attempt to write in Latin, please correct any mistakes I may make. Thank you

MarcusE
Textkit Neophyte

Post by MarcusE » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:04 pm

If you enjoy brute force memorization then I suppose you might enjoy the Dowling method Lucus refers to. I'm on chapter 30 of LL pars 1 and am thoroughly enjoy it. Most of my "latin time" is in bed, on the john and on my elliptical trainer and I have managed to make good progress. So far I have avoided all formal grammar work and content myself with just perusing grammar explanations when I feel the need or desire and it's working fine

I suggest postponing the hard core memorization until you get into LL a ways. I can tell already that if I were to sit down and really try to hammer out and nail down the declension and conjugation tables now after 30 chapters of LL it would be pretty easy since I have already been exposed to all the forms in their genuine linguistic context over and over again. Doing so at the beginning a la Dowling, ugh!

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:25 am

Lucus Eques wrote: And as for English itself — you say you don't like it very much. I didn't either at one time. But then I immersed myself in Latin and Greek, and found that English is really a vessel for these bastions of litterature, culture, art, science, you name it. Perhaps Latin will for you, as it did for me, allow me to appreciate much more fully my native tongue.
I'd hope that we can appreciate English as more than the empty vessel or trash bin of classical languages (not sure this was your argument, and no diss on Latin and Greek themselves). I think you'll find that it's easier to romanticize languages one doesn't speak natively... the same goes for the rest of the situations we're born into. I'm sure English would look pretty appealing to many a Roman or Greek.

calvinist
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by calvinist » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:43 pm

thesaurus wrote:
Lucus Eques wrote: And as for English itself — you say you don't like it very much. I didn't either at one time. But then I immersed myself in Latin and Greek, and found that English is really a vessel for these bastions of litterature, culture, art, science, you name it. Perhaps Latin will for you, as it did for me, allow me to appreciate much more fully my native tongue.
I'd hope that we can appreciate English as more than the empty vessel or trash bin of classical languages (not sure this was your argument, and no diss on Latin and Greek themselves). I think you'll find that it's easier to romanticize languages one doesn't speak natively... the same goes for the rest of the situations we're born into. I'm sure English would look pretty appealing to many a Roman or Greek.
You brought up a good point, we always find foreign ideas, languages, customs, so much more exciting than our own... that's why the west in the 21st century hates itself and it's history! :lol: I would add also that English is a different case as far as languages go, because it did pretty much become an "empty vessel" after the Norman conquest of England and so it had to have a Romance lexical stock poured into it to breathe life back into it.