Gratias ago, Erica!

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Gratias ago, Erica!

Post by Milito »

English Grammar for Students of Latin showed up in the mail yesterday. Thank you for telling me about it! It's a great review of English grammar topics, related to the Latin, and I strongly suspect it's going to get a lot of use.<br /><br />Thanks again for mentioning it.<br /><br />Kilmeny

Erica
Textkit Neophyte

Re:Gratias ago, Erica!

Post by Erica »

I am so happy you like it! Congratulations -- I'm thrilled you bought it and hope it is a good resource for you!<br /><br />I HIGHLY recommend the book for many reasons, but what I love about it is the comparative approach, which helps in those sticky situations where you just can't decide what is appropriate...<br /><br />Also, just learning the material the way the book presents it helped me to more readily "think Latin" instead of trying to constantly go back and forth with English. <br />E ;D ;D

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

The comparative approach is what I'm finding particularly useful, too. It's particularly nice with the participles! (I notice, though that the relative pronouns, which are still out to get me, are lurking in the last chapter of the book, which I'm reading start to finish. Ah well...... delayed gratification never hurt anyone....)<br /><br />Again, thank you!!!! ;D<br /><br />Kilmeny<br /><br />(I can get a little hyperactive about books.....)

Odysseus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Odysseus »

I just received my copy from Amazon today and looks like it's going to be a well-used reference guide :) I think my next purchase will be a detailed reference of Latin as I seem to be comfortable with a large portion of its concepts now. It looks ideal for someone in their first year and a bit of Latin.

Erica
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Erica »

Odysseus I'm glad you are checking this book out as well! <br /><br />I noticed you are in New Zealand -- wow, I hope to visit there one day, it is such an amazing place...<br /><br />RE: next purchase -- have you read the thread "rant against wheelock..."? I highly suggest Moreland and Fleischer which is recommened by the Textkit Maestro Sebastian (Elucubrator) as an outstanding Latin text. <br />Cheers!<br />E<br /> :D

vinobrien
Textkit Member

Post by vinobrien »

Just to say that my "English Grammar for Students of Latin "arrived yesterday and I'm finally begining to understand the difference between gerunds and gerundives. <br /><br />"All the Greek Verbs" also arrived and is already showing signs of wear.<br /><br />Vincent

Odysseus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Odysseus »

Erica wrote:<br />Odysseus I'm glad you are checking this book out as well! <br /><br />I noticed you are in New Zealand -- wow, I hope to visit there one day, it is such an amazing place...<br /><br />
<br /><br />yeah, loving it myself :) Although it is in the middle of nowhere, it's certainly a cool place to live.<br /><br />
<br />RE: next purchase -- have you read the thread "rant against wheelock..."? I highly suggest Moreland and Fleischer which is recommened by the Textkit Maestro Sebastian (Elucubrator) as an outstanding Latin text. <br />Cheers!<br />E<br /> :D<br />
<br /><br />Yep, thanks, I saw that thread. I'm tossing up between Allen & Greenough's and Moreland and Fleischer so I'll give their previews on Amazon a good going over to see what's going to suit best.

Erica
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Erica »

Allen & Greenough is also an excellent text, and as I believe it is on this site you can't go wrong with it. M & F is excellent as well, but not available yet here (copyright date, etc.) so take advantage of A & G and also the Bennett (Latin Prose Composition)....